• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering conversions, Whats best??

Dsquared

Loc.
South Boston, Va
Just wanted to get some opinions on power steering conversions. I have a 71 with manual steering, one pieced steering shaft.

Whats the most reliable option to go back with. How easy are these power steering kits offered by the bronco guys to install. Is hunting up the parts in a junk yard worth the time??? I'm having trouble deciding what I want to due. My manual box is worn slap out and its all I can do to keep her in the road.

Red Bronco

Loc.
Los Angeles
Few month ago I installed a ps Chevy conversion it was very easy to install, I decided to purchase the entire system (about $500) however if you have the time to serch for the parts you can do it for about 1/2 the cost, I decided not to look for use parts because lack of time and knowledge also serch the threads you will find all the information that you need from other members that already did the conversion also preferences (Chevy or Ford ) photos and experiences.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
most of the kits are very good but some lack the pulley's that you will need for the crankshaft and water pump other than that they are pretty close to bolt on about the only thing you have to cut is the steering shaft but the kit will come with a joint to reconnect to the PS box.

302fix

Contributor
I just finished with Tom's close ratio upgrade and it was VERY easy to install. It didn't come with many instructions and I'm just a weekend garage monkey but I had no problems with the install. I had a few questions (alternator belt size changed and proper fluid) but a quick call to Tom's and then helped me right out.
It wasn't cheep but I feel it was worth it:
http://tomsbroncoparts.net/cgi-bin/tomsbroncoparts/4600.html?id=Lf4VDDov

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
If I were starting from scratch, and just replacing my muscle powered steering for a hydr. powered, I'd do the F150 box swap. Go look under the Tech section of BC Broncos site because there is a great explanation, including the swap of the 2x4 worm into the 4x4 box. These boxes are cheap(brand new 4x4 box is less than $200) and reliable. I'd use a saginaw pump for sure! Don't buy any kit that uses a stock pump..they suck!

But listen - whatever you spend on this, it will be WORTH every penny! HUGE difference. Good luck -- Scott

yak67

Bronco Guru
I ditto the comments on the Tom's kit, I'd buy it again. ;D

302fix

Contributor
Hey KC that looks like a good kit but you'd still need to buy the double groove pulleys that run around $75 each and a belt. The Saginaw pump is more durable so for the price difference and quality...go to Toms.

Coach will get you there cheaper and just as durable if you got the time to put the parts together.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
My brother runs a Nissan box on his. 2 of the 3 holes line up with the stock mounting holes, the one that doesn't line up is the front, which is easy to access via the front of the frame to insert a sleeve. He has been running this for 6 years now with no issues. For the install he had to have custom hoses made (metric box and SAE pump).
So whether it is worth looking in the junkyards or not.... what's your time worth?