• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Issues

horhay25

Loc.
Encinitas, CA
Having a slight issue with my power steering..occasionally with motor running, in gear but at a stop it is very tough to turn the wheels (so tough that I think i've lost all power steering)..I'll drive a bit and the steering is fine, then i'll stop again in gear and turn the wheel and it's fine. This just happens occassionally and mostly when i'm in gear with brake pressed.

Here's what I'm working with...69 bronco, 33x13.5, International Scout box w/ what i think is a stock early bronco pump..

I'm gonna assume it's the pump, but just wanted to check your guys' opinions...

btw..i don't have any leaks and pump has fluid..

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
First make sure the belt is tight. If it is the pump is probably going out.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Does the pump have a dipstick in it?
Those are stock pumps and pretty much junk.
BUT, before you swap it out to a Saginaw pump, I'd try flushing it.
Remove the return line from the pump and cap off the port on the pump.
Place the rerun line in a bucket, fill,start the truck and flush.
I'd use the cheapest ATF you can find and flush 2 quarts through it, then flush type f through it to make sure you got all the ATF out.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
Different parts on mine but the exact same symptoms...it was a bad pump. Had the pump rebuilt and everything is good.

OP
OP
horhay25

horhay25

Loc.
Encinitas, CA
belt is tight..pump has a dipstick..

gonna guess that it's not worth it to rebuild stock pump with my tires/lift...especially if i go 35's later in it's life...

might live with it for now and when it gets really bad..swap it out...

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
If you have disturbed or opened the system lately it could be an indication of air in the system.

If it hasn't been disturbed then as suggested early belt or fluid levels. Now what happened to mine the pulley became polished and the belt couldn't grip.... so I kept cross hatching the pulley groove for grip.

I too have the Scout II box and am running the Lincoln Mark IV saginaw power steering pump with the James Duff brackets for the 302. Not sure if they have changed their design but my brackets have tweaked, cracked and misaligned to the point the belt is wearing hard on one side....

So my advice would be to convert to Saginaw PS pump with Wild Horses, BC Broncos or Tom's brackets (they are all the same design).

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
... Not enough pump for that box. I'm running a Saginaw pump on my IHC box.

Scout box is almost identical to Bronco box. Difference is location of mountng holes and scout is standard rotation. Bronco box is reverse rotation.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. Yes when I did my ScoutII box. I really had trouble getting the bolts to match up . I drilled for 30 minutes .. But I got my box for 50bucks. and the rebuild was about 125.00 at the time. It has worked great.
.. I now have a Bronco box I picked up for 65 bucks.for my next project.