• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

power steering whine??

Thunder Chicken

installed a used stock ps set up two months ago.......has worked like a champ (no whine) untill two days ago ....then i started getting a whine and seems to be getting worse.

whats your opinion....

1. slipping belt under a load ?
2. air in the line ?
3.pump going bad ?
4. somthing else i'm unaware of ?

Thanks in advance

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
Could be due to a couple of things. 1) Low fluid level due to air in system. 2) Particles of crud from inside used pump clogging lines or steering gear box reducing flow, causing pump to be overworked. 3) pump just worn out and beginning to die. In my opinion it's probably the pump, but before installing another make sure everything is cleaned out inside. I replaced 5 pumps on my '75' hi-boy until I had the whole system rebuilt (about $1,000 overall). Have'nt had a problem since. I bought the first pump at Pep Boys with a lifetime guarantee and the rest were free. The original reciept is so faded now you can't even read it but they honor the warrantee. good luck, Mark

robofig

I have been running Lucus P/S fluid.

Flush the old fluid out real good, then add the Lucus.

My friend ranger p/s had never been touched for 200,000 miles. The pump started whining real bad, so we did the Lucus flush and no more whine.
10,000 miles and still no whine.

robofig

I use an old kitchen turkey baster and suck out as much fluid out of the pump as possible. Refill with atf , start it up, and repeat.

When you get red atf in the pump suck out some more and add the Lucus.

Kgarris99502

Loc.
Anchorage
My trick for flushing can be messy but it works. put new longer return hose into a bucket and have someone turn the wheel slightly while you keep adding atf. I run about 3 quarts through then shut off truck. reattach your return hose and fill and start. if it still whines try some friction modifier like limited slip additive. that works good too. these have all worked for me but sometimes you just need new parts. Good luck bronco bro..

robofig

My experience of a whine has always been running a Ford p/s pump.

When I switched to a Saganaw pump the whine went away.

OP
OP
T

Thunder Chicken

update............belt was ok........fluid level ok.......installed a pump i had laying around off a 75.....prob solved.... no more whine....now i need a new pump to go back on my 75

barronj

Bronco Guru
just installed hydroboost and major whine

I just installed a reman PS pump (97 F250 w/ dual returns), filled it full of the clear, cheap store brand PS fluid, and it whines like crazy.

I guess, before pulling it off & exchanging it for a new one, that I'll purge the system & put the ATF in there, perhaps even a little Lucas.

pbwcr

installed a used stock ps set up two months ago.......has worked like a champ (no whine) untill two days ago ....then i started getting a whine and seems to be getting worse.

whats your opinion....

1. slipping belt under a load ?
2. air in the line ?
3.pump going bad ?
4. somthing else i'm unaware of ?

Thanks in advance
=======
Ford PS pumps whine even with everythiing perfect in the install. Its a crap shoot to get a quiet one. Try a sag.
Paul

Bundy

Bronco Guru
+1 on all ford's whining.

i bought a 2008 F150 FX4 and the steering pump whines and feels stiff sometimes-

when i was a kid, i always knew when mom was coming up the driveway because of the 89' mustang steering whine