• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Price to weld up a roll cage

RivRat

Im here is Dallas and have been looking for a place to weld up a family cage. I was going to buy a kit online and have some one here weld it up. All the offroad shops I have contacted are pricing it between $800-$1800 which I think is pretty damn pricey for about 15 welds on 2" tubing, Yes there is some cutting and fish mouthing also, but still. I was wondering if anyone has had someone weld up a cage and what were they charged.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The assembly/welding of a full family cage would run roughly $800-$1000 if it was done in our shop. We've done a few so I'm basing that on the hours involved.

Rockit

The basic bending of the tubing is the fast part. Cutting/mitering/fitting takes more time than welding.

forester2504

Loc.
Georgia
I purchased a crab cage. Don't know if they are still making them, but it is really nice family cage. $1200 dom tubing and gussets.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
RivRat,
If it were me, I would go get a simple, cheap mig welder (doesn't require gas) from Harbour Freight , Lowes or Home Depot and just spot weld everything together. Take it out of ur bronco and set on a trailer, then take it to a cert welder. He/ she should be able to put a deep, hot weld from a mig.

Tig welds will take longer time but still not the amount you were quoted. But if they are setting up the entire cage (start to finish w/ paint) and tigging all connections then it may go that high in price. Just my 0.02 worth

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

I was looking at the Bronco Bob cage and for the extra $100 he will weld the foot plates and wheel well kickers, precut all the pieces and mark where they go. Then ill do what Crawdad said then have someone just weld up 8 joints. Im thinking that would be the cheapest route.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
X2 on stock1970

RivRat,
You and another bud or two with many Bud Lights can get the cage up in a days time. There are many threads on Classic on genius ways of doing it. 2x4s and ratchet straps and constant tape measuring will get it up and square, then tack in place. If you are happy with the looks and function, then get a pro to weld it in.
I really like Bob's cages, BUT every EB is a lil different. I just bought a fully welded cage that does not fit flush at two points. Some long bolts should fix that but I will have to grind a 1/4" off one foot plate. Bob's cage is very affordable until shipping costs come into play. Same can be said for ExtremeFab. ExtremeFab sells a nice 6pt cage and its on sale now, but plan to spend upwards of around $100-$150 shipping on either cage. Either Bob's or Extreme's cage will run you around $600-$800 delivered (maybe cheaper on location). Invest in a real nice MIG welder w/ gas for around $500-$700. You can weld it in place yourself and you get to keep a welder for other projects.
As far as going to 4x4 shops, I would check out machine shops that have welding service (certified welder on staff). If you have it tacked together and can drive it up to their garage, they may do it for a couple of hundred. If the metal is clean of rust/paint, then 2-3 hrs shop time/ labor and consumable cost at $85-$100 per hr should be fair.

Again, just my 0.02 worth. Good luck!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I did a kit (owner provided) with install and mounting for $300.
There were other work that I was doing on the rig so it was a price that was added on the tab.
Custom built cages will cost more if fabricator supplied the materials, did the bending, notching of tube, welding and fitting.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I'm fixin to weld mine up in two and a half weeks. Bring some Coors light and I'll do yours for free, but you'll have to make the trip up to my place (about 45 minutes north of Dallas). I can't promise I can do it that same weekend and I only have every other weekend off, but we can get her done.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
It is alot of work to finish and put a cage together. Welding is about a 2 hour job. It took me sevral days to finish the ends and fit my cage then tack it in place before having someone burn it in with a 220v welder.

I have a 220v welder now and wish I bought it a long time ago and welded the cage myself.

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

I'm fixin to weld mine up in two and a half weeks. Bring some Coors light and I'll do yours for free, but you'll have to make the trip up to my place (about 45 minutes north of Dallas). I can't promise I can do it that same weekend and I only have every other weekend off, but we can get her done.

I'm near Wylie. Where are you.

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

Oh. I just saw. Pilot point. I'm about an hour away. We might be able to make that work.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Thats what I'm talking about guys! Help each other out! Good luck and post some pics!

muskrat

Bronco Guru
I paid $1200 to have welded by a reputable race car fabricator. Bought the kit fornthe family cage pre bent etc. He really did a lot of additional bending to get it right. Mig welded, really nice quality.

It ain't cheap!

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Just to clarify, I can cut and weld it but I don't have a bender. I'm assuming you're gonna just buy a kit so that shouldn't be an issue.

evkennedy

Loc.
Covington
If you are willing to drive to lacombe, la.( round trip for you 12 hrs). Then contact Jd foster at deepsouthfab.net. Great work and great price.

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

Nightstick; im probably going to go with bronco bobs and have everything precut and marked. So it should be "easy"