• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pricing of Repainting and New Interior

bambaataa

Hi all,

Was hoping someone might be able to help give me a ballpark price range for repainting a Bronco *and* reupholstering the interior. I've got a pretty specific look that I'm going for, and it's close to this 1974.

If I were to buy a car like this 1967, can someone give me an estimate of what it would cost to paint it black and reupholster the interior like the one above? Obviously, there are a lot of differences between the 67 and the 74, but I'm just wondering about aesthetics. Need to see what my max purchase price can be if I need to put this kind of work into it...

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey there. While there may be someone here who's had one done recently enough to give you a reasonable idea of cost, I would have to say that your question leaves the answers wide open. Price-wise, paint alone can run from $500 to $25,000 pretty quick. It's completely up to who YOU choose to do your work.
Same for upholstery. Looks like you're going for the simple, stock, but maybe a little better look. In that case, I would say that you can still start at the $500 low end, and get up to about $3000 pretty quickly.

For example, a standard carpet kit that you or a pro could install in a few hours would cost from $200 to $400 or so (before labor). But a friend just didn't like the too-stock look and the poor overall quality of the cheapie kit he'd bought (not from us thankfully!) and had a local shop build him one from scratch. Came out super sweet, but cost about $1200.
And that was just for carpet.

So you can see there's a wide range. My advice then would be to start checking around with the people that are actually going to be doing the work. Keep it within easy hit range if you're in a metro area. Not sure where you are, but you could have anywhere from 30 places within a ten mile range that are happy to give you a quote, to nobody within a 100 miles.

Hopefully you'll get some real advice here too though. I'm just throwing that out there because the answer's got such a wide range in my opinion.

Good luck. Keep us updated on which way you go and how it turns out. We'd love to see pics before and after I'm sure!

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just to clarify, $500 if you prep and paint, $1,500-3,000 for a nice job, and from there to $25,000 depending how perfect you want it.

Might I add, black is the hardest color to get right.

Check craigslist for ideas, call a few places, then visit a few local shops. Go to an auto paint store and ask who they would get to paint their vehicle. If they throw you a price of $10,000 to just shoot it, you know they don't want your work. If they want $900 and "it will be the best ever", be suspect. Most places specialize in whole part replacements with little actual body work being done.

Tyla's toy

Loc.
Martha's vineyard
A good two stage materials and labor polished out properly the number that kept showing up for was roughly $7500. That's underside, inside, engine compartment etc.

bobscott

I fixed all the rust on mine myself. The shop is going to put new uncut rear quarters on that I am providing. The shop is also going to fix all the dings, dents, etc. along with a two stage paint. They are going to reinstall the body and line it all up etc. The going rate in the middle Tennessee area is $5k to $6k. I talked to four different shops and all were in the same range.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
The price of the paint job mainly depends on the current condition of the vehicle. What condition is the current paint in? How much are you willing to take apart or have them take apart? How many panels need replacing? Then there is the question you should ask the shop that is doing the work. What do you want it painted with? Cheap enamel or base/clear urethane? There is a big price difference in the clears out there too. You can get cheap U-POL clear and hardener for $150. High end clears will be roughly $400 for clear and hardener. You truly get what you pay for with paint materials! Those are some of the reason why you have such a big difference in prices.

If it's a simple scuff and shoot you can get that done for 45-55 hours, times the labor rate in your area + materials. Labor rate in my area is $42 hr. and materials is $26 hr. That would be about $3100-$3800 for just the paint. That price would assume the panels where in excellent shape and the trim, handles, glass, interior, engine, and everything was taken apart and put back together by you. It also assumes you can find a shop to do it. If you do find a shop to do it plan on saying good by to the Bronco for a very long time. There is more money in doing insurance work. A project like that is fill in work for when it's slow but it takes up space when it's busy. This the reason why many shops won't do it.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
It depends on what you want done. Typical body shops don't like to do complete paint jobs so they'll quote you a higher price. What they like is insurance work which is quick to do in most cases and they know they'll get paid. Interior? Again it depends on what you want done. All redone with carpet etc? Upwards of $8,000-$10,000. What you need to do is determine what specifically you want done, decide how much you want to spend, pick out some shops that have excellent customer ratings and start getting some estimates.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Here is a show car I painted. It was our personal car but I had 200 hours in body, wet sanding, spraying etc.

I would estimate this would run 10k minimum

I did this one in a weekend had 500 bucks in it

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
First off these are not "CARS". These are "TRUCKS".

Im gona say 10 grand might get you close to what your after. Even if you did all the labor yourself id say materials alone will run you 4 to 5 grand. If you have hidden rust and rot (and they all have a lot of both) then add another 5 grand.

But don't stop there.....im gona say that any bronco you buy is gona need a additional 5 to 10 grand worth of mechanical fixes I the first few years of ownership. Hell a set of tires alone will run you 2 grand. Owning a bronco is fun but at times can be down right a pain in the ass as well as a financial burden. If you are uncapable of doing your own work then you better be very welthy! Most guys on this forum have upwards of 30 to 40 to well over 50 grand invested, and that don't include there millions of hours of there own time.

Last edited:

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Good paint is really high right now. I know we had over 2k in paint, primer, sealer, and Other products. .

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
I would think as solid as that bronco you posted that you wanted a color change on, you could have someone remove the trim, scuff the entire bronco with a 400 grit and respray it black for around 2000. Then get the seats and carpet done for about 1000. Now stripping it to bare metal and starting from scratch is a entire new challenge.

ckuck

Loc.
North Pole, AK
im into mine around 16000 and have not got to the body ... I only know this because my wife reminds me, normally when I open a summit, wildhorse or duff magazine

sedav1

I am in the same boat as you so I have been looking into options on paint and interior. There is definitely a wide range depending on the route you take. I have a couple of estimates for scuff and shoot for 2-3k. Thats implying that the body work has been done already and that everything has been fitted and prepped. I had a shop quote me 8-15K to do fitting, blocking and a full spray job. Both are with PPG 2 stage paint products.

As for interior it depends on how much work you are going to do and what materials you use. You may want to look up Melissa at Bronco Hut for the interior covers. I have not used her but I hear they are a good option for interior covers. You can install them yourself or have an upholstery shop do it. I have seen a few tutorials here where guys have done it themselves.

I am doing most of work myself but I have already spent quite a bit and I still have interior, paint, wheels, tires, trim and bumpers to go. Its definitely a expensive hobby but totally satisfying.

mcknight77

Loc.
Caldwell, ID
im into mine around 16000 and have not got to the body ... I only know this because my wife reminds me, normally when I open a summit, wildhorse or duff magazine

That's almost exactly where I'm at. I still need P/S, A/C, and a 5-speed.

Then interior and paint. I'm hoping to get that completed for $10K. I will do the interior work, so just parts. I'll do most of the body work and prep for the paint, too. But, I know I will need some body panels.

Adds up quick.

Arikilen

Loc.
Clovis, CA
I did all my own stunts with my paint job. Probably 100 hours in prep (I could have doubled that easy). Mine was a crawler only, still paid $500 for quality paint, add that much in tools/compressor.

I live in California, our laws are a little stringent on paint options.