• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Problem with pulleys not lining up HELP

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
So I got a new water pump put on my bronco and now the water pump pulley wont line up with any of my other pulleys. The alt, crank, and power steering pulleys still line up but not the water pump. It is a water pump from napa and I have asked them if there is a short and long water pump and they say they are all the same. It is on a 302 passenger inlet. The pulley seems to not be deep enough or the water pump is too long, about 1/2-3/4 of a belt off. Is there a deep pulley that someone sells?
Thanks
Matt

72Sport

Bronco Guru
If you lay the water pump pulley on a flat surface the overall height should be 2 1/2" for a 302 pulley. I don't have a 302 water pump handy to give you the height for it.

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
I will measure the pulley when I get home in a few days. Anyone know if there water pumps have a short or long shaft and if so where I can get one of them?

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Guess I should have mentioned that. It is a motor out of a car. Would that cause any other problems?

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
yes it could. does the water pump outlet even exit on the correct side? What year motor? If it was a serp. set up then it would also be a reverse rotation water pump.

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
It was not a serp motor two v belts and I dont know what side the original water pump outlet was on. The new pump is on the passenger side. I am away from home right now but was hoping to try and get some answers so I could get to work on it friday.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
dude, take the old one in and say "make it look like this..."

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
I would do that but dont have the old one some a$$hole tossed it a few months back

jpalmer

Loc.
Boise, ID
I have a 302 out of a 70's Mustang in mine and the water pump is longer than a truck 302. I had some trouble finding a two groove for my PS conversion.