• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Problems w/thermostat housing sealing w/explorer serpentine

Goldhawg

All, completed my explorer serpentine conversion, but I have a leak on my thermostat housing. Initially i just used a paper gasket, cuz the rubber gasket that fits the thermostat is too thick (or the BC Broncos thermostat housing isn't machined deep enough). Didn't leak until the system really warmed up and under pressure; then a steady dripping. Tried to put the rubber gasket back on but can't get the surface flat enough to seal around the coolant line.

Thinking now I should just use Waterpump RTV for both the thermostat and the housing itself. What have the rest of you done to seal the housing? Thoughts?

thx!

Attachments

• DSC00468.jpg
    DSC00468.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00467.jpg
    DSC00467.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00466.jpg
    DSC00466.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 25

4lofun

looks as the rubber ring is to thick to use w/ bc housing. seems like you need to go with gasket. try gasket adhesive, on both sides of gasket.
i had tried 3 gaskets w/ the stupid chrome motersport housing. nothing would seal it. ended up buying a $90 oring housing through summit, problem solved for me!!!.
try some adhesive or maybe the rtv. good luck, i would try the adhesive before the rtv, but if you have the rtv, try it out.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I used a $1.99 paper gasket from Kragen that had sticky on one side. Stuck it to the housing and painted the intake side w/ the red gasket sealer from Napa. Not so much as a drop from it.

OP
OP
G

Goldhawg

Finally went to Carquest and they had a thick $13 gasket...it sealed the leak.