• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project farm truck.

Stitch

I am gonna start a build up thread I think. I just bought a uncut 66 roadster. It is very rough, but it has the same story as most of them. I found this one next to a barn it was bought in 66 by a big ranching operation in Claremore Ok. It was used and abused by the farmhands for 14 years before the guy I bought it from. He bought it in 79 put a new motor (200) and tires in it(on it) and used (abused it) on his farm for 27 years. It still has the 200 I6 that runs like its new and ag tires which if not for the dry rot would be new. I am amazed at how well this thing runs and drives. I put about 20 backroad miles on it sunday. So heres is my idea. I am not gonna throw alot of money in this thing I feel that it has been a farm truck its whole life it might as well stay one. I am gonna only fix the body panels that have to be fixed, particuarly the bed and floorpans. I am gonna leave the rest of it rough. I am gonna make it go and stop like it is new, put decent used stock seats in it(not reapolstered). Get the heater and all the lights to work and thats it. I sell vegtables at farmers markets and on the side of the road. I'm thinking about painting my farm name on the doors with a brush and hauling my vegtables with it. Kinda a 4wd rat rod/but the real deal. Most broncos I see are either show trucks(Perfect Body) or rock buggies(body falling off).Sound like a good idea? Here are some questions I have. Can I get good mileage out of the 6cyl? My old bronco with a 302 and NP435 took a tank of gas to get to town and back. A lot of the farmers and ranchers around here have switched thier 1 ton farm trucks for toyota's and nissans. What could I do to compete with that mileage. I was actually looking for a toyota and I bought something I didnt need, go figure%) . I want to run the stock wheels with mud tires on it like it is now. Any suggestions on size or brand. I want no lift. I also am keeping the pipe bumpers on it but I would like to mount my winch I was thinking about mounting it in the bed. Any ideas or pics would be cool. I am gonna take some starting pics this weekend.

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
I like your thoughts on it except for perhaps the pipe bumpers and winch mounting but hey it's yours. Since it's your business consider having someone with skills do your graphics unless you're that guy. I especially like the idea of stock wheels and non-wide aggressive tread tires. Perfect for an uncut unlifted roadster. I used to not like sixes but the price of gas has made me do a 180, especially when talking about an around towner. Here's some thoughts of my own. Ditch the doors put on inserts. Put the graphics on the rear quarters. Install a bulkhead and make a mini stake-side for the back for hauling those veggies.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I agree with Seabiscuit in that you should leave the stenciling to a professional. Have him fade it to appear aged.

Handwriting something on the doors makes me think "The Little Rascals."

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Whatever you do I want to see pictures of this thing when you've got it looking the way you want. The stake pocket/bulkhead idea is interesting to me. Its a damn shame to hear that farmers are driving toys and nissans now. I think you've got the right idea!

OP
OP
S

Stitch

Yeah I think it will be cool. Expecially if I can get it running and driving dependably.

OP
OP
S

Stitch

Has anyone built a bronco this way? I have been searching for ideas through ics and the best pics I can find are before pics of peoples build ups.

OP
OP
S

Stitch

I got up this morning to go to work for a couple hours. I walked outside and thought why not take the Bronco I dont have to be there at any specific time. Anyways it drove beautifully down the backroads this morning. I did notice a vibration at about 50. And of course when I pulled out on the main highway for the last 1/2 mile of my journey the column shifter hung up. Had to do it right there with no shoulder and cars approaching at 70 miles an hour. I figured out my vibration when I got to work. I was in 4 hi. Aside from the shifter ordeal I am happy.

OP
OP
S

Stitch

Okay Here are some pics I think if I did this right.

zonasvt

Loc.
Tucson, AZ
I like the idea of roadster door inserts, with a factory bench seat, steel bulkhead, wood side bed stakes, Professionally-applied stenciling, and stock wheels and ag tires.

Regarding fuel economy, you could consider switching the (most-likely) 4:11s for 3.50s or 3.73s-- although you'll lose some grunt off the line-- just my .02

Would love to see pictures.

OP
OP
S

Stitch

I have pics in my Gallery under Farm Truck but I cant seem to post them on this thread can someone post them for me. I cant afford to be a contributor right this minute :(

OP
OP
S

Stitch

I like the idea of roadster door inserts, with a factory bench seat, steel bulkhead, wood side bed stakes, Professionally-applied stenciling, and stock wheels and ag tires.

Regarding fuel economy, you could consider switching the (most-likely) 4:11s for 3.50s or 3.73s-- although you'll lose some grunt off the line-- just my .02

Would love to see pictures.
Thats my plan for it, I dont know about the wood yet. By the way I LOVE your bronco just what I imagine mine like just not as NICE

neonizagas

Loc.
Minneapolis, MN
I like the Rat Rod lettering & graphics idea!
Here a couple of examples I saw at a car show a few weeks back!

Attachments

• DSCN3657.jpg
    DSCN3657.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN3683.jpg
    DSCN3683.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN3652.jpg
    DSCN3652.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 73

mike.l

Loc.
Milwaukee,WI
Email them to me and I'll post them. mlucas001@sbcglobal.net

As far as fuel mileage goes... My roadster has 170ci, 4.11's. If I drive 60 or under, (probably all its got anyway) I get about 19mpg. Doesn't seem possible, maybe because it doesn't have the weight most other Broncos do.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
stitch I saw the pics and man that thing is uuuuuuuuuggggly I LOVE IT!! I really like your idea it would be really cool to have a no frills utilitarian bronco!

mike.l

Loc.
Milwaukee,WI
Bill's Farm Truck Pics.

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 29
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
S

Stitch

There it is. Thanks for posting pics. I like that little econoline pick up. That is kinda the look I am thinking. But 4wd. My wife called me this morning and said she was tired of commuting 75 miles round trip a day in her Tahoe. I commute about 15 miles round trip for my job. Ive been driving the Kia (30 mpg) but now I guess I will start driving the Tahoe. She wanted that thing now she dont. I told her if she was gonna take my Kia then we needed to get the Bronco in shape for me to drive everyday. What can I do to get better mileage out of the Bronco then that D@#m Tahoe? Ive never liked that thing.

OP
OP
S

Stitch

dude, I love the galaxy seats. get them recovered
Are those Galaxy seats? I was thinking thunderbird any how I was thinking a bench seat. Would it be wrong to use roadsigns for floorpans;D I have an old scout that if you crawl under it the floors obvously say YIELD.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I love old junk! I should buy a wrecking yard. I don't know if I'd be more afraid of mice or falling out through the floor!

OP
OP
S

Stitch

My grandfather has a salvage yard. It was great being a kid around there heck I still am a kid around there. When I was about 10 we had a front wheel drive car that was was cut in half it had a sed of dumpster wheels welded to the floor pan in back. The thing was so nose heavy that you coult ride wheelies in reverse I think that is the most fun I have ever had till we tore it up. I also had around the same time a go cart with a 900 Kawasaki on it SCARY!!!!!!!