• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project farm truck.

OP
OP
S

Stitch

Looks like a '68 roadster mirror. Check out the firewall to wheelwell brace, is that a '66 only item?
It is a roadster that was one of the mysteries of when I purchased it. I finally got the title and it starts with U13

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
What can I do to get better mileage out of the Bronco then that D@#m Tahoe? Ive never liked that thing.[/QUOTE]

The first thing I did with my 200cid was put a durispark II dizzy on it. Then put a new carb or rebuild the one you have so it work the best it can. My mileage improved by 3mpg when I did those two things. The gears would be the next thing but that a lot more money. I have 4.56 gears on mine, and you may have the same. At best you have 4.11's. If you plan to really use it as a farm truck keep the 4.11's if thats what you have. Skiiny tires and no lift also help with mileage.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Thats a farm truck all right!

For selling fruit out of it, I would give a rattle can paint job just to clean it up a little.
I only sell olive oil at the market, but I wash what ever pile I am driving in to sell it.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Are those Galaxy seats? I was thinking thunderbird any how I was thinking a bench seat. Would it be wrong to use roadsigns for floorpans;D I have an old scout that if you crawl under it the floors obvously say YIELD.

Same difference as for the seats. Lincolns had similar frames but had the Lincoln symbol on the upper backrest. I like those seats because they are low profile seats and if you remove the risers and fab your own mounts they will sit really low. That is a plus for us 6 foot plus guys. Also one thing to keep in mind. I have never seen a true farm truck with all original parts. The cheapest thing that works is what gets the hi sign. Maybe making some seat covers out of sunbrella fabric and new foam will get those to work nicely. If not, where do you live and are you willing to ship? ;)

I am not a fan of using road signs only because it is not a permanent fix. I did use them in an old Willys pickup I had back in the day. I am also not a fan of removing road signs from roads so I would make sure to get them from an auction.

t-bone

Loc.
Kansas City
Hey Stitch!

I gotta '67 all original U15 that has a similar patina, except my paint all matches, stock wheels, no lift, mud tires, etc. I think it looks almost exactly what you have in mind for yours to look like (except for the farm logo, although I might do that myself now that you mentioned it!) "Redbud Ranch" and that's the tree, not the weed.

I live on a 16 acre horse ranch about 35 miles west of Kansas City and this truck does a lot of work for me. We live in the Kansas (KAW) river valley and our property is mostly rolling, heavily wooded (oak and hickory) hills. Most of my time at home is spent darting around in that old truck, into the woods to cut wood, up to the neighbors farm to haul hay (30 bails at a time in the bed, stacked to the clouds.) Mine rarely gets out of 4 low around my place, but is still able to scramble into town, feed store, etc when I need it to. Hell, it'll run down the road at 75 mph like a honey! Amazing little truck, 289, 3 on the tree. It came from Colorado where it was obviously used hard but well loved. I sold my '69 to buy it, paid 5K for it and wouldn't sell it for 4 times that. Couldn't live without it. As a matter of fact, I work in Kansas City and drove it in today. It was about 40 degrees this morning, no top, heater cranked, gotta love these trucks! I think I've clocked mine between 16-18 mpg with the 289, not bad.

Your plan for that truck is PERFECT! They're one of the best utility trucks ever made and too many of them don't get the use they deserve! Enjoy it and look for some pics tomorrow!

T

I'll take some pictures of it tonight and get the tire size down for you.

OP
OP
S

Stitch

Yeah t-bone that is exactly what I am thinking. To pay off some bills I just sold my 71 that had a 302/NP435/Swampers/Blah Blah. I have more pictures of it stuck in my yard than out wheeling. I used it as a tractor more than a wheeler which is what I built it for. I have a 10 acre mini farm as I call it. I sell vegtables at farmers markets,restaraunts,and on the side of the road. I told my wife a few months back that I should build a model A pick up as advertizing for my mini-farm. I had read a book on the great depression and saw some pics of old trucks/cars that the okies used which gave me the idea. I thought I could take an old model a truck keep it rusty and worn and paint my farm name on the side of it. If I made it dependable and fuel efficient (I was actually thinking Toyota pick up drive train but dont hold it against me) I could drive it everywhere.(free advertising). I also thought something like that parked on the side of the highway,or in the stall at the farmers market filled with bushel baskets of vegtables would draw a crowd. But a bronco is better than a model A like t-bone said it was one of the best utility trucks ever made so it would serve double duty. Now I just need to go fix the brakes.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I agree that a Bronco is old enough to be nostalgic but modern enough to suit your needs without too much if any updating. All it needs is to be made solid enough again to take the workload you are going to put on it.

OP
OP
S

Stitch

I agree that a Bronco is old enough to be nostalgic but modern enough to suit your needs without too much if any updating. All it needs is to be made solid enough again to take the workload you are going to put on it.
Well said.

Does anyone know if the brake drims come off with the hubs or slide over them. Probably ned to pack the bearings anyway.

t-bone

Loc.
Kansas City
Okay Stitch,

Here's pics of my '67 U15 Ranch Rig, hasn't missed a day of work in it's life. Like I said, unrestored original patina, no lift, looks just like an old Bronco should in my opinion, stock wheels with 30x9.5R15LT BF Goodrich Radial All-Terrain T/A tires. This is the biggest tire you can still fit into uncut rear fenders with no lift. Anyway, as you were describing what you had planned for yours, I kept thinkin', man, sounds just like mine!

Drove it in to work again today!

Best of luck with your project.

IMG_5136.jpg

IMG_5137.jpg

OP
OP
S

Stitch

Thats it, with my farm name on the side of the door in black letters. Thats what I have in mind.