• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project "Little brother" up date - 6-18-08

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Project "Little brother" up date - 7-25-09

Got all my POR15 products ordered, and will pick them up tomorrow. I need to weld in my body mount repairs (Big washers), and finish cleaning the frame. Had some good help today, and will again tomorrow after school. Now I just need to sell a kidney on the black market%) , and some other stuff I have so I can afford to do all the upgrades now;). I'm the big guy in the pics, and the helpers are, Devin 8 1/2 and Shelbey, she's 6.

Attachments

• 100_0390.jpg
    100_0390.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 390
  • 100_0391.jpg
    100_0391.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Thats pretty cool Shawn, feels good to start this thread huh? Awesome to see the lil' munchkins out workin' with ya.

OP
OP
regshawn

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
PDXBronco Thats pretty cool Shawn, feels good to start this thread huh? Awesome to see the lil' munchkins out workin' with ya.

Yes it does feel good;D They where actually pretty good help (stayed out of my way). I need to get them some coverall's, I promised I would let them help paint, and I can just see them covered in POR15:p.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I hate to be preachy, but that is not kids' stuff. Lots of nasty chemicals in there (POR and similar products)...make sure they understand that its basically poison. Once its on your skin and dries its not coming off, so nitrile gloves or the big-kitchen-type HD ones are recommended. Sorry, if I sound paranoid, but they should really not 'play' with it. Polyurethanes, polyisocyanates are not health-friendly. Just keep an eye on them if you decide to let them help...definitely not finger paint. Face/dust masks would also be good, if they are going to be around with the use of the grinder, wheel, etc...they end up right in the path of all the "dust". [getting off pulpit]

...otherwise, its cute as hell, Shawn. Good luck!

OP
OP
regshawn

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Yeah I got them respirators and heavy nitrile gloves, I could not find any paint suits to fit them, so I will use some old sweatshirts and the like. Also I am big on supervision, and they know to handle it with care. Its nice to see that there are people out there kid cautious, and glad you spoke up. My part of the pictures is actually staged:-[, because I did not want them to close to me while using the wire will. So far a great family project.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
My wife is an optometrist, which is great for me...since starting the frame off, I have been in her office-not for lunch or anything 'good'- at least 6 times with foreign objects (steel, etc) in my eyes. If I wasnt already married to her, she could easily have bought her own ring with the proceeds from my visits. I wear eye protection all the time and try to be cautious...with wire wheels, grinders, welding, etc shit flys everywhere right over or under the goggles--and it doesn take much to really inflame the eye. Eye injuries are also surprisingly uncomfortable and debilitating....just looking out for the kids...would make for a bad first-bronco experience.

OP
OP
regshawn

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Well I got a little more done, two coats of POR15 and one coat of Chassis Black. I let the kids help some what except for the painting, that stuff does not come off easily (as advertised). I love how it turned out. Now I can clean and paint the little things that attach to the frame (tranny cross member, gas tank hangers, etc.). Just need to sell somethings and do some side jobs, then I can do the Axel upgrades and order the Cage lift.

Attachments

• 100_0395.jpg
    100_0395.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 206
  • 100_0396.jpg
    100_0396.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 201

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got my frame almost stripped and need to get it cleaned up now. Did you do most of the work with wire wheels or did you do some sandblasting? How much POR15 did it take, or should I say how much $$ of POR15 did it take?

Thanks,
Robert

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Question to you guys that are stripping/treating your frames...what are you doing about the interior of the frame rails...are you just ignoring them, or is there a process to stripping and coating the interiors??

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Question to you guys that are stripping/treating your frames...what are you doing about the interior of the frame rails...are you just ignoring them, or is there a process to stripping and coating the interiors??

You can get it chemical dipped for rust, and then hot dip galvanizing.

This is what I'm going to look into when it comes time to do mine

Regshawn - good for you, letting the kids help. My daughter loves to help too. She knows she's not allowed near the Bronc when she's not wearing her safety glasses. Good for you, getting them in good safety habits young!

OP
OP
regshawn

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
SC74 I've got my frame almost stripped and need to get it cleaned up now. Did you do most of the work with wire wheels or did you do some sandblasting? How much POR15 did it take, or should I say how much $$ of POR15 did it take?

I used a wire wheel on a 4 1/2 angle grinder to do most of mine, also some small wire wheels that fit the drill for the tight areas. I only used about 2/3 of a quart of POR15 on the frame, and about 2/3 of a pint of Chassis Black.

Baja71 Question to you guys that are stripping/treating your frames...what are you doing about the interior of the frame rails...are you just ignoring them, or is there a process to stripping and coating the interiors??

As with Smokeater11, the inside of my frame was pretty clean, so I just blew it out. I was going to paint and treat the inside, but we tend to rust less here on the West Coast;D, so I'm not going to sweat this one. I will on my next project though (70 uncut restomod).

B_lineBronco

Loc.
Red Bluff
Well I got a little more done, two coats of POR15 and one coat of Chassis Black. I let the kids help some what except for the painting, that stuff does not come off easily (as advertised). I love how it turned out. Now I can clean and paint the little things that attach to the frame (tranny cross member, gas tank hangers, etc.). Just need to sell somethings and do some side jobs, then I can do the Axel upgrades and order the Cage lift.

That looks really great so far, can't wait to keep seeing pictures as you progress. The finish on the frame looks really good, did you paint it on with brushes or did you spray to get that look?

Either way, it is starting to look really good.

OP
OP
regshawn

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Thanks!, I brushed it on this time, next time I will try and spray it on, you can still some some lite brush marks. I'm sure it wont take long to put some trail/rock marks on it.;) Have you found one yet? Hope to see one when I'm down the end of March to visit the Family.

B_lineBronco

Loc.
Red Bluff
No I have not purchased one yet. I think that I have narrowed it down to either a '73 Ranger with c-4 and ps (but he still wants too much) or a '72 that is plane jane with 3-sp, that I could modify to my liking over time. I too hope to have one by the time you come down.

OP
OP
regshawn

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I need to update this more often! I need to go through my pictures and do some posting, to show I've been busy with the project and not all my time spent on the Bronco sites.;D

Here are a few that reminded me to post up some pic's.

Attachments

• 100_0432.jpg
    100_0432.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_0433.jpg
    100_0433.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 156

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Ahhh, looks great Shawn, you've gotten a lot done!!! Looks like you got the engine painted, the cage springs on, and a little bling on the frame rails for the lines!
Jocelyn said "the way he's going he's gonna get his done before you get mine done!!!" I guess I gotta get on the ball ;D