• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project Spintech 2 into 1 is underway(Now Done)

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Well thought I would throw up some pics of my dual into single set up. Have to give credit to Lars on this one. After seeing and hearing his rig in person I decided that when I was ready to re-do the exhaust it would be a 2 into 1 set up. Again Lars thanks for all the info and input you gave!

So here it is, still need to finish up the tail section that runs over the axle. Should hopefully have that done by tonight or tomorrow.
Trevor ;D

Attachments

• From Headers lr.jpg
    From Headers lr.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 265
  • Front Welded lr.jpg
    Front Welded lr.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Front tacked lr.jpg
    Front tacked lr.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Hanger lr.jpg
    Hanger lr.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Muffler on hangers lr.jpg
    Muffler on hangers lr.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Muffler on hanger lr.jpg
    Muffler on hanger lr.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Muffler lr.jpg
    Muffler lr.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 209
  • Exit2.jpg
    Exit2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 60
  • exit1.jpg
    exit1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

honkey84

Loc.
ILL
Nice looking work that you have going there!!! I was also wondering what kinda of sound are those mufflers suppose to have?? I think I want to run something else besides flowmaters.

raharr3

Loc.
Linden,Ca
Looking Goood! How much do you have into that setup(if you dont mind my asking)?
Thanks,
Roy H.

76 explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
oklahoma city
ive been curious if anyone has a sound clip of that exhaust set up. i know spin tech has sound clips but they are all fuel injected vehicles or drag cars heh

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
raharr3 said:
Looking Goood! How much do you have into that setup(if you dont mind my asking)?
Thanks,
Roy H.

As of right now I have about $190 into this set up the muffler was $107.00 and the rest is in the mandrel bend tubing and bracket. By the time i'm done with collector gaskets and all I think it should come in at under $230 for the complete project.

I'm not sure exactly what exhaust not this will have. I went with the longer set up in hopes of quieting it down a bit. Was running dual 40 series flows before. Sounded great but was a bit loud making long drive a bit annoying.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Looks nice so far! Which Spintech model is that? When I did mine I started with the Sportsman Street XL but it was too loud so I sold it and installed a Truck RV model. Much better soundwise. The only complaint I have about it is that it's fairly wide so when it's stood on edge as is necessary to fit under an EB, it's pretty close to the floorboards if you tuck it up for ground clearance. Heats the floor up pretty good. I see they now have another big muffler, the Sport Truck SUV. From the dimensions listed I think it would be a better choice since it's narrower but only a little longer. I'm curious about the difference in noise level compared to the one I have, if any.

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
lars said:
Looks nice so far! Which muffler model is that?

Hey thanks Lars
Its the SUV/Sport truck 8.5"x 22" case

I guess we'll have to compare exhaust sound at the next get together ;D

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
lars said:
Great! I'm looking forward to hearing it eventually.

I'll let you know in a day or so if its more on the mild or wild side, I'm hoping for mild.

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
Where did you get your mandrel bends at? Ive been debating on doing the exhaust myself, or spending the $220 to have the shop do it. Ive got the Cross Enterprises rear shock hoop so routing may be tricky.

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
SnwMnkys said:
Where did you get your mandrel bends at? Ive been debating on doing the exhaust myself, or spending the $220 to have the shop do it. Ive got the Cross Enterprises rear shock hoop so routing may be tricky.

You can order them through summit (get the summit brand or you pay name brand price for simple tubing)

All I can say is that after doing this set up and seeing how easy it is i'll be doing any other custom exhaust myself. All in all its pretty simple to do and the options are wide open to mount it exactly the way you want it. If you can get a shop to do a mandrel bent set up for $220 i'd say go for it. If there not going to mandrel bend just make sure you go to a good shop or you'll get crap like this. This is what I pulled of of my rig, 2 1/4 tube bent and pinched down to 1-1/4 by 2" Yucky Yuk ;D

Attachments

• Kink.jpg
    Kink.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 103

NYBronco

Loc.
Hartford, CT
Exhaust design

Can someone help me here. I am deciding on my exhaust design and thought I would give Spintech a call and they were very unwilling to spend time to discuss my set-up so back to where I should have started.

I currently have a 408 stroker built mainly for torque 470 ft lbs 390 HP off the dyno bench. I want an exhaust that sounds good, yet isn't too loud while driving on long road trips.

So I am open to all comments and tips. Single, dual, h , x I want to learn what I can before I make anything permanent.

Thanks-

NYBronco

Loc.
Hartford, CT
Exhaust design

I forgot to mention I currently have ceramic headers with 2 1/2" collectors if that plays into the sizing.

66roadhorse

Loc.
Houston
Ny Bronco, I have spintechs on my 70 Torino 429 CJ. I used 2 1/2 sportsman streets with 2 1/2 inch pipe. I sounds great and runs awesome. A little behind the motor, it is a stroked 429 with a .588 lift solid cam, headers, headwork, and an 850 edelbrock. I am trying to remember where I got the mufflers from. The guy was extremely helpful and really helped with what type to get. Also if anyone wants to know how they sound they have sound clips on their website.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I was considering Y-ing the pipes together before the muffler in to one 3" pipe and then buying a simple 3" muffler. Then running the pipes out similar to Lars' exhaust.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Oops, are those mounted solid to the frame without gromets? Unless your motor is also bolted directly to the frame then they will eventually develop leaks when the pipe starts work hardening.

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Oops

SaddleUp said:
Oops, are those mounted solid to the frame without gromets? Unless your motor is also bolted directly to the frame then they will eventually develop leaks when the pipe starts work hardening.

Yeah I hear Ya ;D I'll be removing the front mount on the muffler today and re do the rear mount to something that has flex in it. I don't know what the heck I was thinking. Dang Rookie! ;D

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Here is the tail section that runs over the axle. Still trying to figure out how I want the tailpipe to exit out the side or out the back... Suggestions???

Attachments

• Tail4.jpg
    Tail4.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Tail3.jpg
    Tail3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Tail1.jpg
    Tail1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Tail2.jpg
    Tail2.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 121

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
TJK74 said:
Here is the tail section that runs over the axle. Still trying to figure out how I want the tailpipe to exit out the side or out the back... Suggestions???

Having just been through this a couple of weeks ago when I re-routed mine... I tried both ways. I ended up with it routed just behind the back tire. The camera angle is too low so it looks like the tip hangs lower than it does- it's actually even with the bottom of the bumper. The problem I found with going straight back was fumes. Keep in mind I have a hard top. With a soft or no top it could be different. From the muffler to along side the fuel tank your routing looks a lot like mine.

Couple of questions: where did you get the bent tube that goes over the axle? It looks like there are multiple bends in one piece. How are you cutting the tube? I've done all of mine with a hacksaw so I can control the straightness, but it's tedious. I tried my sawzall for a few cuts but found it a bit tricky to get a straight cut every time.

Looks great so far! Saddleup is right though- make some rubber appear in those hangers.

Attachments

• new jan05 -4.JPG
    new jan05 -4.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 119

Krawln68

Loc.
Newark, CA
Looking good trev, i take it my chop saw is working well for you. Im gonna have to stop by and check it out. By the way, i just scored another 5.0, this ones got an AOD though, sweet!