• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project Spintech 2 into 1 is underway(Now Done)

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
2 into 1 done

lars said:
Couple of questions: where did you get the bent tube that goes over the axle? It looks like there are multiple bends in one piece. How are you cutting the tube? I've done all of mine with a hacksaw so I can control the straightness, but it's tedious. I tried my sawzall for a few cuts but found it a bit tricky to get a straight cut every time.

Hey Lars
Well the bend that goes over the axle I got from work. I work for a wholesale distributor of RV and marine parts and accessories and we happen to carry flowmaster kits for RV's So I was able to get that and just cut it down and it happened to work out great as far as the rest of the cuts went I just used a chop saw thanks to James..AKA (68steed). So for the exit I decided to go straight back and do a turn down. I'll post some pics of it here as soon as I can snag the camera back from the wife. It actually works out good so far and the fumes dont seem to be a problem so far.
Lars as far as exhaust note goes keep that RV one that you have on. The one I got barks pretty loud it is actually louder than my dual 40 series flow set up that I originally had on. This actually ticks me off quite a bit cause I talked to spintech and asked them how much louder it was then the RV muffler and they told me pretty much the same but that it was just a lower profile and that it would be quieter that the dual flows I was running. Don't get me wrong though the exhaust note is unique and sounds good but it definately barks. Really it does sound good but my main goal of the 2 into1 set up was to eliminate the clutter and low slung crap that I existingly had as well as tone it down a bit from where it was at. All in all I'm happy with the way it turned out as far as fit and finish but I now am in search of a resonator that will comfotable fit somewhere along the line to quiet things up a bit %)

68steed said:
Looking good trev, i take it my chop saw is working well for you. Im gonna have to stop by and check it out. By the way, i just scored another 5.0, this ones got an AOD though, sweet!

James...Yep your saw worked wonders, thanks a million man I owe you one. Yeah I'll try and swing by soon and check out your new score. Don't worry you'll hear me coming ;D

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
TJK74 said:
Hey Lars
Well the bend that goes over the axle I got from work. I work for a wholesale distributor of RV and marine parts and accessories and we happen to carry flowmaster kits for RV's So I was able to get that and just cut it down and it happened to work out great as far as the rest of the cuts went I just used a chop saw thanks to James..AKA (68steed)

The one I got barks pretty loud it is actually louder than my dual 40 series flow set up that I originally had on. This actually ticks me off quite a bit cause I talked to spintech and asked them how much louder it was then the RV muffler and they told me pretty much the same but that it was just a lower profile and that it would be quieter that the dual flows I was running. Don't get me wrong though the exhaust note is unique and sounds good but it definately barks. Really it does sound good but my main goal of the 2 into1 set up was to eliminate the clutter and low slung crap that I existingly had as well as tone it down a bit from where it was at. All in all I'm happy with the way it turned out as far as fit and finish but I now am in search of a resonator that will comfotable fit somewhere along the line to quiet things up a bit

Mine was plenty loud before I added a resonator. Dynomax makes some small round mufflers, about 4" OD x 12" long that will fit just fine alongside the gas tank. Not only that, they are pretty cheap. That's the way I'd go. I've seen one installed that way in 3" tubing, so I know it fits. From personal experience a resonator can make a big difference. Also make certain that the exit is beyond the body line. That simple difference makes a huge difference in noise, and at the most irritating frequencies. That resonator tip you can see in the photo I posted seemed to do very little inside when it ended inboard of the fender. Slid it out 2" and it made all the difference. The devil is in the details...

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Single mufflers usually are louder than dual because of one simple premise: air velocity. Same air volume, in one pipe instead of two. I've heard dual Flows and a Single flow on the same vehicles and the single was usually louder where you don't want it to be (at lower RPM).

Summit also makes header inserts that go in between the collectors and the pipes to quiet it down a bit.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
76Broncofromhell said:
Single mufflers usually are louder than dual because of one simple premise: air velocity. Same air volume, in one pipe instead of two. I've heard dual Flows and a Single flow on the same vehicles and the single was usually louder where you don't want it to be (at lower RPM).

Summit also makes header inserts that go in between the collectors and the pipes to quiet it down a bit.

Good point. Which explains why the muffler on a single exhaust is always larger than on duals with the same engine. What's more, muffler manufacturers are generally looking at sound levels from their products based on vehicles originally equipped with catalytic convertors. Cats don't make a huge difference in sound levels but they do contribute a muffling effect. On our cat-less EB's with short overall length systems it gets tougher to quiet them down. But if you are old and grumpy like me you try anyway ;D

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
76Broncofromhell said:

Do you happen to have a link or know who makes the inserts your talking about. I'll check summit and see if i can find them.

Lars I'll also check into the Dynomax muffies. I definately still need to tone this thing down a bit. Well here are some pics of how I have the exit set up. kind of copied it off of how all the new heeps are set up.

76Broncofromhell. Thanks just checked out summit and found the car chemistry inserts. I'm gonna call car chemistry today and see what i can find.
Thanks

Het lars check em out
http://www.carchemistry.com/ccexhaust.html

Attachments

• exit1.jpg
    exit1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Exit2.jpg
    Exit2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Having tried that exact outlet configuration I can tell you that even though it's pointed down, getting the outlet beyond the body line will help interior noise- though obviously it doesn't quiet the exhaust.

I have a Car Chemistry insert in my system, a 3.5" two-disc insert in a short section of 3.5" tube. I had the local muffler shop swage a couple pieces of 3" tube out to 3.5" so I could make up a case for it. Brain fart, I forgot to mention before that I have one. It's located alongside the fuel tank. It helps some, though I suspect the Dynomax muffler helps more. Mostly the insert took the edge off a nasty resonance at about 3000 rpm, though it didn't seem to quiet it much anywhere else.

Link to the Car Chemistry inserts (part no. 2DI35L is what I used): http://www.carchemistry.com/ccinserts.html

Here's a page on the Dynomax muffler (part no. 24222): http://www.dynomax.com/documents/race_specs.pdf

If price matters, the Dynomax part is about 36 bucks at Summit, the Car Chemistry part is $48.

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Brain Fart

lars said:
Having tried that exact outlet configuration I can tell you that even though it's pointed down, getting the outlet beyond the body line will help interior noise- though obviously it doesn't quiet the exhaust.

I have a Car Chemistry insert in my system, a 3.5" two-disc insert in a short section of 3.5" tube. I had the local muffler shop swage a couple pieces of 3" tube out to 3.5" so I could make up a case for it. Brain fart, I forgot to mention before that I have one. It's located alongside the fuel tank. It helps some, though I suspect the Dynomax muffler helps more. Mostly the insert took the edge off a nasty resonance at about 3000 rpm, though it didn't seem to quiet it much anywhere else.

I think I might try two of these one for each collector and go 2 1/2" with the 3 disc set up. I just need to check and see if I have enough room in the collector flages since they are 7.5 inches long.
http://www.carchemistry.com/ccflanged_inserts.html

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
2 into 1 finally done

Well its finally complete and now sounds good ;D This weekend I installed two Car chemistry inserts, one in each side right after the header. This did the trick and toned it down significantly. Now it has a nice rumble at idle and produces a throaty growl right at take off then smooth off to a mellow hum. So my surprise the inserts didnt cause any ill effects in performance. They actually seemed to add a bit more torque right off the bottom end probably due to a slight increase in back pressure. Now when you stomp it FWO it is pretty darn quiet to what it previously was and is definately quieter than when I was running the dual flow set up. So all in all now I'm pretty happy with this set up now that the bark has been toned down ;D

Attachments

• Insert.jpg
    Insert.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 28

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
TJK74 said:
Well its finally complete and now sounds good ;D This weekend I installed two Car chemistry inserts, one in each side right after the header. This did the trick and toned it down significantly. Now it has a nice rumble at idle and produces a throaty growl right at take off then smooth off to a mellow hum. So my surprise the inserts didnt cause any ill effects in performance. They actually seemed to add a bit more torque right off the bottom end probably due to a slight increase in back pressure. Now when you stomp it FWO it is pretty darn quiet to what it previously was and is definately quieter than when I was running the dual flow set up. So all in all now I'm pretty happy with this set up now that the bark has been toned down ;D

Kewl! Now I want to hear it. Guess that means I'll have to try to actually drive my Bronco to one of the norcal events %)

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
BUCKETOBOLTS said:
So did you end up just using insterts and exhaust out the rear? Or did you use inserts and mufflers?

I ended up using the insert, the muffler and the exhaust all the way out the rear like it was previously set up.

Lars said:
Kewl! Now I want to hear it. Guess that means I'll have to try to actually drive my Bronco to one of the norcal events

Sounds good to me! Come on down to Hollister on the 12th of March. If you can't make it down on the 12th I plan on being at Jerry's in april so I'll see you then ;D