• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Projects- u15- 1971

Maggi

Hi guys ,

First of all happy thanksgiving. So the wife has figure out all the work I'm to do to her 1971 u15 uncut bronco

Power steering conversion
Front power disc brakes /Dana 44
2.5 suspension lift
23 gallon tank

Question for you guys , I'm pretty good with a wrench but these upgrades , should i or we have a shop do them or I can I handle these. And always thanks for alll the info.

Jeff/Kim / and the puppy maggi

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those are all easy upgrades relatively speaking. The disassembly and cleaning of the crust may be the bigger task depending on the condition of attachment points, brackets etc. lots of good info and support here. Save the labor $$ and apply towards said upgrades
Hank

OP
OP
Maggi

Maggi

True, we got lucky with a clean truck, alll the upgrades are from tom's .

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
You could always post up where you live and reach out to the local Bronco Brothers and Sisters and ask for help. Great way to meet other local Bronco owners... And what Hankjr said, the work is not too bad, but cleaning everything up can take a bit.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even the suspension is fairly straightforward, but I would have to say it does take some "specialty" tools that might not seem so special.
Such as much taller jack stands than you would normally have in a "car" garage supply. If you've worked on trucks before though, you might already have just what you need.

A torque wrench capable of 100 to 150 ft/lbs is helpful.

If you don't feel like taking the time to either torch out or cut out the undoubtedly-rusted-solid rear shackle sleeves, a new set of shackles will set you back well over $100 bucks, but some say it's worth it to save the pain of the process.
But most of us have prevailed even over the rust, and the factory shackles are pretty robust if they have not been too abused or rusted through.

Paul

OP
OP
Maggi

Maggi

Thanks for all the help , quick question do I need to do a drop pitman arm with a 2.5 suspension lift and also do I need new or longer radius arms , won't be off road except for a few dirt roads

OP
OP
Maggi

Maggi

Also the kit the wife order has the 7 degree c bushing kit

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Thanks for all the help , quick question do I need to do a drop pitman arm with a 2.5 suspension lift and also do I need new or longer radius arms , won't be off road except for a few dirt roads

Dirtdonk recommended the standard pitman arm on my 68 with 2.5 lift, with the 7* C bushings. It has worked fine for me with 31x10.50x15 tires. Upper ball joints do have offset sleeves in them as well...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
do I need to do a drop pitman arm with a 2.5 suspension lift and also do I need new or longer radius arms , won't be off road except for a few dirt roads
Also the kit the wife order has the 7 degree c bushing kit

The 7 degree bushings are a good thing in any kit as long as you have power steering. More caster is a good thing most of the time, and "most" EB's don't run into a pinion angle/u-joint issue until a bit more. With little off-roading in your future, I doubt that these will be too much bushing.

You definitely do not need longer radius arms. Your stock ones will be just fine. Longer ones are there to gain clearance for larger tires and lower the caster change through the suspension travel, and to add wheel travel.

With your '71 you never use a pitman arm by itself though. Always use a dropped trackbar bracket in conjunction with it to keep the trackbar and draglink as close to parallel as possible. This is every bit as important as keeping the overall angles low.
The exception might be if you're custom designing your own suspension and steering, and not just bolting stuff on.

What about a adjustable track bar

While I definitely do recommend the pitman arm AND the dropped trackbar bracket for 2.5" lifts, the adjustable trackbar is a bonus, but not really required.
I use one, but I'm kind of finicky about things being perfect. You won't likely feel if your front axle is 1/4" off of center, but I feel there's nothing wrong with getting it just right either. Since it's for your wife though, I'd maybe strive to be a little closer to perfect.;) Easy for me to say though, since I like to sell that stuff, but it's still true.
Maybe just do the other stuff, then measure your axle and if it's off-center then do the trackbar?

The real bonus of the adjustable bar to me though, is that being able to change the angle of the upper eye to match your now slightly askew angle of the upper bracket (lifting causes it to tilt slightly) makes it much easier to install and will help the bushing last longer. That upper bushing is one of the more often worn out parts on a Bronco. Not so much with an adjustable trackbar.
But at $150 bucks or so, it's something to watch on a tight budget. I think it's worth it, but again, it's not required.

Going back to your first post, then what you said about not using this hard or four-wheeling much, I'll ask you the same question I asked in another thread. Why bother with the 44 front end at all? Unless you have one already, don't waste your time or money on the upgrade when you're not going to over stress your 30. Save those for someone that really needs it. And put the money you saved into something else cool for the Bronco!

Just curious. Lots of people get caught up in this old swap that don't really need it.
Only reasons for the 44 is if you want Ford disc brakes, have one already, or really need the extra beef.
And if you don't, but have one already, it's money in the hand sure enough.

Have fun with the build!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, gotcha. I misunderstood the mention of the 44 in your disc brake line.

Wonder if yours was built near mine then? Mine's a mid-71 too. Built in 12/70

Paul

OP
OP
Maggi

Maggi

Haven't decoded the vin yet just a quick search of it, can I do the trackbar drop down bracket and it be okay to use good untill I can get it welded

DaveLev

Sounds like a fun project. Building one for my wife, too. It is currently her daily driver.