• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Propane conversion

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
I'm still kicking the idea of converting the Bronco to LPG. Maybe even a gasoline/propane duel fuel conversion. Biggest snags I can see is tank placement and refueling. Anybody have any info or websites they can hook me up with.

hudson's74

Loc.
Port Gibson, Ms.
You might try your local gas company and see what's availble I know some people that used it many years ago but I know there is a lot of equipment out there that is much more advanced.

Mikeg23

Loc.
Greenwood, IN
Here is the link to pirate and another link that I found useful when doing propane on my Bronco. At the end of the second link you'll find another link to a business in Canada called Propane Guy. He is a helpful guy and has good prices. I wish I would have just bought everything except for the tank from him.

I got my regulator and lock off from ebay, my carburator and vapour hose from propane guy, and the tank along with various fittings from a local forklift place. I think I put mine together for around $600, that is with one steel tank.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306924

http://www.patooyee.com/propane/propane_1.htm

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Mike, What are the other benefits to runnign propane? Like miles per....$? I dig the conversions and was considering going with the Cummins 4Bt, but this also looks pretty cool. And if you run a propane vehicle (at least in California) you can use the HOV lane with only 1 person.

daddyo

Loc.
Southern California
broncow72 said:
Mike, What are the other benefits to runnign propane? Like miles per....$? I dig the conversions and was considering going with the Cummins 4Bt, but this also looks pretty cool. And if you run a propane vehicle (at least in California) you can use the HOV lane with only 1 person.

I think you have to have a natural gas vehicle to use the carpool lanes here
in Commifornia.

Andrew

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
daddyo said:
I think you have to have a natural gas vehicle to use the carpool lanes here
in Commifornia.

Andrew
I think you're right. he did say "cng", now that I think of it. %)

77broncoguy

Loc.
Grand Rapids, MI
actually propane vehicles are allowed to use the carpool lanes in CA. In fact anything considered ad alternate fuel. I had a 96 dodge ram, that was duel fuel (gas/propane). I had to remove the gas tank and tack the gas door shut for the inspection to get the sticker, but I put them back on because it's a one time only inspection, they just make sure you can't run them on gas. I had the best of both worlds. There are a couple of propane places that fill the roach coaches out there, the price is almost half what a normal propane dispenser charges.

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
broncow72 said:

I have never done a propane conversion, but I am putting together a 4BT. It seems that the propane is easier somewhat from what I have heard. I am sure that it is cheaper to do though.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
swa0330 said:
I have never done a propane conversion, but I am putting together a 4BT. It seems that the propane is easier somewhat from what I have heard. I am sure that it is cheaper to do though.
I like the 4Bt idea, but the cost is a bit prohibitive for me right now. The propane conversion running between 600-1000 bucks seems damn cheap to me. Plus not haveing to do nearly as much work. But a 4Bt may be in the future. What the hell, I've already accepted the fact that this truck will NEVER be done.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
yellowrouge said:
Thanks to all. Biggest problem I'm seeing is tank location. I'm going to talk to the local dealer to see if they can come up with a 20gal ASME tank I can mount horizontally. Something like this one on ebay.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4570135280&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

if you are going to hard mount it, make sure you know of enough places that can fill the tank for you. a lot of places don't have the ability to fill tanks if they know it's on a road bound vehicle.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
JaxLax said:
if you are going to hard mount it, make sure you know of enough places that can fill the tank for you. a lot of places don't have the ability to fill tanks if they know it's on a road bound vehicle.
Any gas station that has propane can do this. That's how RV's get filled.

OP
OP
BroncoJAK

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
From what I've found is you get about 80%-90% mpg of gasoline. Some have had slight power loss. Some notice no difference. Due to it being on the low end of the carbon scale engine wear is drastically reduced. Will run at extreme angles and fast engine recovery.