• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Propane or EFI?

theshadow

Hey guys,
I am currently running a stock carb and im wanting to either do a propane conversion or EFI. I plan on using this vehicle for 60% on-road 40% off-road. So I am wondering what everyone's opinion is on the better/more practical conversion would be. Running a 302, stock 3-speed. Thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
EFI is better and more practicle. Propane requires a large tank and really doesnt get you any mileage or power increases. EFI can possibly increase your mileage but dont count on it some people dont see any differance while others see good increases EFI will also help with driveability offroad.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Holley truck avenger or Quadrajet, EFI, Propane, in that order.

EFI is nice becuse it starts right up and if the fuel system is set up right it will be stable through all angles. Propane doesn't care. Propane is a PITA in a road car, especially if you make tripws out in the boon docks. It can be hard to find.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Holley truck avenger or Quadrajet, EFI, Propane, in that order.

EFI is nice becuse it starts right up and if the fuel system is set up right it will be stable through all angles. Propane doesn't care. Propane is a PITA in a road car, especially if you make tripws out in the boon docks. It can be hard to find.

I went pane as my 79 trail rig would have been a nightmare to go EFI. A buddy with an 89, set up very close to mine has the stock EFI 5.8. I have not seen him have problems on any trail I have been on. Granted with full size broncos, we don't see the side angles that you can get with much lighter rigs (like the pics you see on pirates with a rigs body just about on it's side). I'm seriously thinking of just going EFI on my next build of my 77 since a 302 is much easier than a 400 because even on a trail rig, refilling the pane bottles is a PIA. I think any severe angle issues with an EFI could be taken care with a small fuel cell.

Last edited:

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I run a 3/4 gallon surge tank that the High pressure pump pulls from the bottom. Low pressure pump pulls from the main tank. The engine will run quite awhile on the surge tank alone so the low pressure pump can loose suction from the main tank for several minutes and the engine Will still run.

Won't run on its die long and won't run sunny side up at all though.

MattyB4x4

Hijack<<<

I am trying to decide the same thing. I have a 69 302. Can I simply pull the top end off of a EFI motor like a 5.0 HO and bolt on mine? I have a friend with lots of experience with megasquirt standalone computers and he seems to think we could make it work quite inexpensively.

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
Just a guess, but I don't think that any of you guys saying EFI is way better than propane have looked at it from all angles. I've been considering both for a while now. I've decided on propane. The only downside to propane is the size of the tank versus volume of fuel. However, a 10lb forkilft tank will let you run all day from the people I've talked to that use it. Two or three of those and you're good for a 3-4 day event.

The upside over EFI? Everything else! Cheaper fuel, cheaper system to build, and the best part... its SO much simpler. No extra wiring harnesses, no extra sensors, no computers, no inertia switches, no custom baffled tanks or new/extra fuel pumps. Its just simpler. THAT for me made propane a no brainer for a trail rig. Everyday someone is asking something about EFI - sensor problems, computer problems, it wont run right and they don't know why, blah blah blah. Hardly ever see anyone ask anything about propane excpet "what do I need to put propane on my rig?". You know why? Becuase once they go to put it on, its SIMPLE. ;D

Again, I haven't actually made the conversion yet. So take my words with a grain of salt. But I've been looking into both systems for years now, and this is my opinion from the information I've garnered.

Jangel

I'm finally getting to switching to propane and the reasons above were used in my decision, but getting fuel was the only downside I could find. Propane is a cheap switch and parts are very basic with few moving parts. I hope to have mine up and running in the next couple of weeks and I'll let you all know how it goes.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Only problem is is that when the propane system starts acting up you will start asking the same questions as the EFI guys are now. Yes some conversions are simpler but not all are simple those forklifts with propane only systems are fairly complicated and when they start acting up they are a PITA when they work they are great and get good mileage probably way better than a propane converted carbed or EFI engine as they usually just have sytems that are universal and usually well calibrated for any particular engine.

kirkallen143

Loc.
Navasota, Texas
This is even a better place to go for pane ?'s. What they say, if there is a start of problems when using pane, it is usually the motor and not the pane. Many have gotten 100,000 miles plus on a pane system w/ no probs.. There are only 2 adjustments at the mixer, idle and fuel mix, both simple, but remember you have to have the right size mixer/vaporizer for your application. Also a little change in timing to take advantage of the higher octane rating of pane.

I am trying to get information on using pane with my turbo in the bronco with the 200 inline 6, as we speak. So far it is a model E vaporizer and a 225 mixer with holley 2V throttle body, and VFF30 lock-off (electric). Boost reference the balance lines b/tw the vaporizer and mixer and keep the boost levels @ 6-8psi. Any more boost than that and it tends to leak at the mixer, so they say. FYI.

http://fuelsforum.rasoenterprises.com/

Kirk

GRN_MEANIE

if your worried about finding propane then go w/ the dual fuel set-up. Keep the stock carb, there is a guy here that I have seen do some amazing things w/ the stock carb in his rig. You could buy a good carb and the Pane kit and it would still be cheaper that EFI. The key for a successful rig to me is the old K.I.S.S. ( keep it simple stupid) method. Carbs are easy. Propane just has a solenoid to turn it on 2 wires. That's simple. Propane doesn't flood, and it doesn't stink like gas when it's running rich.

braxton357

Loc.
morganton NC
Just a guess, but I don't think that any of you guys saying EFI is way better than propane have looked at it from all angles. I've been considering both for a while now. I've decided on propane. The only downside to propane is the size of the tank versus volume of fuel. However, a 10lb forkilft tank will let you run all day from the people I've talked to that use it. Two or three of those and you're good for a 3-4 day event.

The upside over EFI? Everything else! Cheaper fuel, cheaper system to build, and the best part... its SO much simpler. No extra wiring harnesses, no extra sensors, no computers, no inertia switches, no custom baffled tanks or new/extra fuel pumps. Its just simpler. THAT for me made propane a no brainer for a trail rig. Everyday someone is asking something about EFI - sensor problems, computer problems, it wont run right and they don't know why, blah blah blah. Hardly ever see anyone ask anything about propane excpet "what do I need to put propane on my rig?". You know why? Becuase once they go to put it on, its SIMPLE. ;D

Again, I haven't actually made the conversion yet. So take my words with a grain of salt. But I've been looking into both systems for years now, and this is my opinion from the information I've garnered.

I've got a complete propane setup, as well as almost every holley jet and part you could imagine sitting in my garage and still ended up going efi. There are a few reasons, for one the whole efi 5.8 only cost me $300 out of a running truck...which is far cheaper than pretty much any propane setup. Two, a part for my efi may break (even though it's srtipped down to it's bare essentials, there's not much that can die and cause problems) but you can find ford efi parts everywhere. Propane setups typically run way rich and waste fuel, and in my part of the state there aren't too many places to fill a propane bottle. That's the main reason, I didn't like my options of mounting two propane tanks and the very low availability of fuel.

On the other side, there is the definate cool factor of pane as well as the stupidly easy setup and use. Plus they run at any angle and require very little wiring. It was a hard choice for me but in the end, efi won.

Recko555

Each have pros and cons. You are going to have to weigh each of them for YOU personally. We can't make the decision for you.