• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Proper Lug Nut Size for Ford Factory Slot?

techlaf

Contributor
I've been all over town trying to find the right one and I'm hoping someone can help me. Parts and tire stores were of very little help.

Locally, the only thing available seems to be 1/2" - 20 Standard Mag Wheel Nuts with a washer and a shank length of 7/8". The shank seems to be too long on my wheel.

Anyone with Ford Factory 6" Slots know which shank length is right? These are kind of a big safety issue for me, the slots, and the wheels studs as I have seen broken wheels and studs by using the wrong kind. Don't want to do that.

I think 1/2" - 20 is right, but what is the proper shank length 3/4" or 1/2"? Washer should always be used with these types of wheels?

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The two different factory "mags" I have for my LUBER both use standard acorn style lug nuts with no shank or washer, I'm using factory Ford lug nuts from a 90's truck they're the ones with the stainless steel covers on them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I would think anything modern from the factories would use an acorn seat.
What vintage are yours techlaf?
What application?
No bevel to the hole at all? Just a straight hole that looks like it was drilled into the aluminum hub?

I've gone through this same thing with aftermarket aluminum wheels, but haven't had to search lately. Gorilla maybe? They make different locks for all sorts of wheels. I'll look for that other company that I used to use for odd-ball lug-nuts, but not sure where the info is. I'll get back to you if I find anything.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
techlaf

techlaf

Contributor
These are the Ford Factory F100/150 Aluminum Slots 6" from I think '77-82. I have them on my truck with the acorn nuts that I used for my stock steel wheels, but everything I'm reading says don't use those lug nuts. I'm too afraid of ruining the wheels to drive it yet. The mag nuts I found local stop and hit the wheel way before the washer makes contact the wheel. I know I need a shorter shank, but is it 1/2" or 3/4"? None local so I almost have to order both to find out or guess and hopefully get lucky.

Any opinions on the washers? Never had a car or truck that used washers on the wheels.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 108

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Seems like a quickie measurement would tell you then. Make sure that the nuts are not bottoming out on the threads first, so you'll at least know that the studs aren't too long.
Probably not, but never hurts to make sure first.
Measure how much is left between the washer and the wheel and maybe sacrifice a single nut by grinding grind off that much and a little more to see if it works for you.

Sounds to me that, if your gap is more than 1/8" now, you'll need to go down to the 1/2" length because a 3/4" won't be short enough.

That's the low-tech method of course, but it seems like it would work in a pinch. I'm not a mag-wheel expert that's for sure. And I'm not sure if you want the washers to be the only thing bottoming out, or if you want the shank just long enough to touch down when the wheel is clamped. But I'd be that you want the washer holding tight and the shank not quite bottomed.
If so, it'd be pretty easy to take those measurements and get the right lugnuts or make your own by shortening the existing ones.

Paul

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
What DirtDonk said, just measure your wheel thickness from bottom of taper to back of wheel. I'm pretty sure you need half inch shaft.

tinytim02

Contributor
I'm running the Ford factory slots on my '72. I picked up a set of lug nuts on ebay. Size was 1/2" - 20, approx. 1 3/8" long.

Attachments

• PICT0149.jpg
    PICT0149.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 71
  • lugnut.jpg
    lugnut.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 58

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm running the Ford factory slots on my '72. I picked up a set of lug nuts on ebay. Size was 1/2" - 20, approx. 1 3/8" long.

What he says I've never seen a "shank" style lug nut on a factory Ford wheel they always use a acorn style lug nut with a tapered seat.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I have the same slot rims and always have run the acorn nuts without issue. Where are you reading otherwise?

OP
OP
techlaf

techlaf

Contributor
On this post it shows to use the mag type lug nut and not the acorn type:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153105&highlight=slot+lug+nuts

Ok, so just because it is a slot doesn't mean every slot needs the same style lug nut. Each brand of wheel will be unique. I just need to figure out what the Ford Slots take. It's starting to sound like the Acorns are what works best on Ford slots. Some other slots will take Mag type lug nuts. That makes sense as the Acorn lug nuts I was using on my stock steel wheels seem to fit better than the Mag lug nuts.

W650Mike

Loc.
Eastland, Texas
I’m certainly not an expert in this area, but when I was researching for lug nuts for my slots, I became fairly convinced that a taper/shank was preferable to a taper only - when used on lug-centric vs. hub-centric applications. If you don’t have taper seats, then a shank/washer is required.

As suggested above, measure and then cruise the Gorilla site. They list the dimensions of all of their products. Note the part number and save bucks by purchasing through Jegs, Summit, etc.

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
On this post it shows to use the mag type lug nut and not the acorn type:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153105&highlight=slot+lug+nuts

Ok, so just because it is a slot doesn't mean every slot needs the same style lug nut. Each brand of wheel will be unique. I just need to figure out what the Ford Slots take. It's starting to sound like the Acorns are what works best on Ford slots. Some other slots will take Mag type lug nuts. That makes sense as the Acorn lug nuts I was using on my stock steel wheels seem to fit better than the Mag lug nuts.

Like in the link posted, i would recommend looking closely at the wheel. It is fairly obvious if a shank/washer style is required as there is alot of space around the wheel stud when mounted and a shelf for the washer to sit. This type of wheel requires the shank/washer to center the stud in the wheel opening.

Now if the opening in the wheel does not have the shelf for the washer and instead is ramped, then the acorn style is used to center the stud on the wheel.

I would be concerned about using the acorn style on a wheel that requires the shank/washer as the wheel may not truly become centered or couls move around.

Every wheel is different but I have seen the early slots (60s to early 70s) use the shank and then the later ones use the acorn when it appeared that the acorn style became the industry standard for cars/light trucks.

cbford

I have a set of those same slots on mine. i went and found a tech manual for '80 trucks and it specfies 1/2-20 flared acorn nuts, capped or open.

OP
OP
techlaf

techlaf

Contributor
Yep, the wheel openings are tapered and I should be using acorns. Thanks a bunch!