• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

pros and cons to propane conversion?

Jfly13

Loc.
Lockwood, Mo.
I have thrown around the idea of doing a propane conversion on my '77 that has a 302. Before I bought it I thought I would, but then decided agains it because I normally have my two boys in the back and it would take up too much room. I saw a pic in the gallery with the tanks mounted behind the seats and it did not look to bad.

Anyone out there that has done it? How difficult, costly is it to install? I had a buddy of mine tell me that if I was going to do it I better be very comfortable with working on a propane system because they always need work on them. Is this true? I talked with a guy from Alabama that had it on his 427 and loved it. What are some other opinions and suggestions? Where to get the parts?

OP
OP
Jfly13

Jfly13

Loc.
Lockwood, Mo.
No I had not, that has a lot of very good info. The guy running down in Alabama said that you could get all the needed part for around $300 dollars. Does that sound crazy? I wish I remembered his name. He has a highley modified black bronco with a 427 and runs with several broncos and one highley modified jeep. I think they called their group the Bama boys?

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I've run with a couple guys with propane. Both love it. You can drive at any angle with it. It gets decent range (but if it's for your daily driver it may not be enough range). That, bottle location, and possibly smell are the only drawbacks I've heard. I only vaguely recall smelling the propane, it didn't seem like a big deal to me.
Also, you can switch back to gas easy enough.

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
I think flies are realy bad about swarming around the tank. THe big ugly ones with the shiny green bodies.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I am not trying to stop you from doing this have thought about it myself. But one time I had to use a work truck Propane powed it would freeze up (Big round thing) had to knock on a house door for hot water to unfreeze it. After that it worked fine the rest of the day.

texashcane

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Argyle, TX
The guy in Alabama was probably Joe Matlock. He abuses his truck pretty hard.

I have propane on my trail rig and I wouldn't trade it. I would not want it on a street rig because of the limited range on the tanks. I have 2 10 gallon forklift tanks and I can run all day on about one and a quarter pushing 42" tires with a 302. It's a little inconvienent to change tanks, but not that bad. It will run at any angle and is actually very low maintence. It is a very simple system. The only thing I have had to replace was an electric lockout solenoid. As far as cost, it was on this rig when I got it. I bought some extra 10 gallon tanks(used) for about $65 per. Greg Baker in ALabama converted his for less than $500. That includes his tank mounts which he fabricated himself. Propane burns clean and you really don't have to worry about oil changes until 35-50K miles. You will sacrifice a little horsepower, but not a lot. What else can I tell you? I'll have my rig at Hot Springs in September if you want to look at it. Greg Baker will have his also.

Stephen

pacrat

Loc.
salt lake
I have thrown around the idea of doing a propane conversion on my '77 that has a 302. Before I bought it I thought I would, but then decided agains it because I normally have my two boys in the back and it would take up too much room. I saw a pic in the gallery with the tanks mounted behind the seats and it did not look to bad.

Anyone out there that has done it? How difficult, costly is it to install? I had a buddy of mine tell me that if I was going to do it I better be very comfortable with working on a propane system because they always need work on them. Is this true? I talked with a guy from Alabama that had it on his 427 and loved it. What are some other opinions and suggestions? Where to get the parts?
I've been running it for 5 yrs now..NO electrical problems/mess, with this fuel system, is the best part.(as compared to injection).I can be in a near verticle climb, & have to bump it to the next ledge-never a cough from it. Same vert.position,& stall the motor-just bump the starter,& fires immediately, no flooding. While living in AZ. & NV. I drove it on road a little, but recently moved to UT so its a trailor rig now, with there laws. Its a very easy install also..

texashcane

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Argyle, TX
I can't give an answer on MPG or range because I have no odometer and I am pushing 42's on one ton axles. I can usually wheel for about 6+ hours per 10 gallon tank. There is some starting and stopping involved in that.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I like propane.. one of my 65 hp tractors is a case propane rig ...I've had it since 1968... only work on it has been one new regulator ..I have a small ford 1953 jubilee gas tractor ..I've told the wife several times I'd like to trade it for a propane small tractor...I have a 500 gal nurse tank to fill from ...and the case I only change the oil once a year and plugs once a year ..the plugs would go longer but since it so dry you'll need to change the plugs so it doesn't seeze up ...Range is only limited to the size of you tank ..it usually gets about a mile less per gallon ....Back in 1968 propane was 12 to 19 cent a gallon and you took it off your income tax and gas was 65c now last propane was 2.19 and gas is 2.89 ...

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
gas here starts at $3 per gallon for 87 octane and the broncos get some ping if we don't feed em the higher octane.