• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Protecting those limbs in a rollover?

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Like me, I'm sure you have watched the Youtube compilations of rollovers (or been in one yourself). As I was watching this I started going over in my head my own safety equipment and how I am protecting myself and my passengers if I rollover. okay, let's be serious... WHEN I rollover ;D

As I was watching these vids I noticed a major lack of restraints and overall safety equipment. I have a sufficient roll cage (for crawling), high back mastercraft race seats bolted to the cage with 4 point harnesses but I'm terrified of someone's arm or leg getting caught outside the cage.

What is the best method to keep arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times? I heard they make grab handles that are on the shoulder harnesses? Would an 'oh shit' handle on the windsheild horizontal bar help for the passenger? If you are going over, as the driver What about skins on the roof... anyone running those?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Since it's not a high speed roll over, I would think the driver keeping both hands on the wheel would keep him in the clear. For the rear passengers, I guess you could make a lap bar like on a roller coaster for them to grab onto!:) Front passenger, could be trickier, it's always an instict to put your hands out to brace yourself if you're not already holding on to something.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Since it's not a high speed roll over, I would think the driver keeping both hands on the wheel would keep him in the clear. For the rear passengers, I guess you could make a lap bar like on a roller coaster for them to grab onto!:) Front passenger, could be trickier, it's always an instict to put your hands out to brace yourself if you're not already holding on to something.

been there done that;D i have a grab bar for the passenger, the rear is little far away from the sides. one thing i teach who ever rides with me is what not to do, i know it's habit but just reinforce it. for my legs my roll cage has a bar that runs angled to the floor, the rear does have a bar behind the seats that someone could grab to if they had to. when i rolled over the kids in the back were just laughing as i was picking cotton out my butt. btw getting into the back is a pain

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I don't have a backseat so I don't worry about that. For shotgun, do you guys have an oh shit handle or what do you tell the passenger? Instinctively they are going to reach for the top of the roll bar so I'd like to give them something to hold onto... besides my beer when I say "watch this"!

Where is the YouTube video? Sounds entertaining.

Shockingly, it is mostly jeeps %)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9WD4YR2RHw

BicksBronc

Loc.
Concord, NC
You could use arm restraints like the sprintcar drivers use. It would limit how high you lift your arms and is secured to your harness at the buckle in your lap.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I found what I was thinking about- they look pretty legit! I know a lot of desert guys use them and at $40 it ain't so bad
http://atrpowersports.com/hands-in-race-harness-grab-handles-w-safety-wrist-restraint-1/
f2d14516654c26481d5bc99055c0333b.image.750x499.jpg

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I was going to say some sort of bungee cords that limit the travel of your arms as was mentioned above sprint car drivers have them. If you have 6 pt harnesses I would think it would be rather difficult for your legs to get outside the passenger compartment. Anything more would be pretty limiting to your movement and control of the vehicle.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
A grab handle for the passenger is a must, I also put handles on my roll cage that are on the inside of the tube, this way, if you reach for something at least your hand is still on the inside of the cage.

I am also a big fan or metal roofs. Many of the rock crawls require them for good reason, you never roll over onto a flat rock and it only takes a pointy one to knock you out.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
adult straight jackets aren't too pricey but passengers might not approve. I've been doing serious wheeling for years & haven't had a situation like you described. Before we launch we caution all riders to keep arms, hands and legs inboard especially when it tends to get tipsy. Worry too much about this and you'll go nuts.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 169

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just curious but is that a 3 or 4 point harness?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

3-point is like any modern car. Lap and a single strap across the chest. Left, right (lap) and one shoulder add up to 3-points.

4-point is more of the race car stuff. Lap belt and 2 shoulder straps all meeting at a single latch. 5 point adds another strap between your legs to keep your body from submarining under the lap belt. 6 point is a pair of straps between your legs.
What is shown above is a 4-point seatbelt setup.

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
3-point is like any modern car. Lap and a single strap across the chest. Left, right (lap) and one shoulder add up to 3-points.

4-point is more of the race car stuff. Lap belt and 2 shoulder straps all meeting at a single latch. 5 point adds another strap between your legs to keep your body from submarining under the lap belt. 6 point is a pair of straps between your legs.
What is shown above is a 4-point seatbelt setup.

They also have a 3pt not like the modern cars. Like the pic below is a 3pt harness. That's why i was questioning because it's hard to tell between the two.
dubuty7a.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I have not ever rolled and hope not to, but I always tell my passengers that if it does happen to grab the dash bar or hold on to the seat bottom. I like those harness handles though.