• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PS box creaking-moving

72Burro

Loc.
Ca
the lower housing on my F150 PS box (about an 1-2 inches above the pitman arm ) moves when i turn the wheels with the truck parked. The creaking noise is not from the pump, but from the lower housing as it's flexing. The frame has a reinforced plate attached. The steering geometry is secure and there doesn't seem to be any binding and the creaking noise doesn't happen while the truck is moving. Any thoughts on the issue.

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
Do you have a brace like this on yours?

2143BO~1.jpg

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
If you have one of the inside the framerail 2wd F150 boxes (which it sounds like yours is), then you need the brace pictured above. If you have the 4x4x2 F150/Bronco box, then Chuck's plate should be suffecient and you may have frame issues.

OP
OP

72Burro

Loc.
Ca
PS box is mounted on the outside frame rail..

I also just noticed the front end isn't centered, the axle sits out about an inch further on the drivers side. I don't have an adjustable trac bar. The box movement seems to happen only when I break the wheels L/R from their center position. Could the centering issue be causing it?

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Is the frame moving? Can you see any cracks? Did you put the tubes inside the frame? Are all the bolts tight?

OP
OP

72Burro

Loc.
Ca
There are no visible cracks. The frame isn't moving either and the trac bar isn't moving at all. I checked the bolts, one was a bit loose, but when i tightened it down it made the same creaking noise as when Iu turn the tires. started it back up and turned the tires and still getting the noise and movement.. guess i'm going to drop the box and get a look at the frame

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
Is your whole box moving or just the sector shaft? If it only happens when you turn from L to R, is the box moving away from the frame? Loose bolts? did you use the existing bolt holes for the PS box or drill new ones? If you drilled new noles, were they reinforced as well?

OP
OP

72Burro

Loc.
Ca
the housing around the sector shaft is moving, the housing (below the bolts)moves away from the frame. The bolts are tight. It's been about 4 yrs, but I recall drilling new holes, not sure that the holes were reinforced though.

datz510

Loc.
Mesa, AZ
Might want to pull the box and sleeve all the holes. If the frame is cracked, weld it up and then drill and solidly weld in a peice of 1/4 plate where the box sits to reinforce the frame wall. Thats what I'd do at least and may have to do in the future. I relocated the box on my Nissan, but at least sleeved the holes.. still have my doubts about it though.