• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PS gear box rebuild

73 bronco 347

My gear box on my 73 bronco is leaking around the output shaft. Any suggestions on a place to rebuild it? I can not afford to buy a new one. It is the stock box with a wild horses pump on it in case that info is needed. Thank you for your suggestions.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
On older steering boxes like for our Broncos most shops only replace the seals, the supply of other parts is gone from the general market.
The only real difference between them doing it and you doing it is the price.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
If it is just the output (pitman arm) shaft seal, that isn't to bad of a job. As long as the shaft isn't grooved too bad it should fix it. It is only a couple hour job. Ken

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The sector shaft seal leaking could be a bigger issue. Send to a shop that can fix it permanently, by machining the case and adding bearings. Stock form the shaft rides on the case and eventually wears. They can also make the box a 4 turn, from a 6 turn, plus some other options. It’s certainly worth a call to see how much, and what can be done over just resealing it.

https://www.steerco.com/

Mark

jagbucket

my shaft had not started leaking but due to pitting after cleaning up, the shaft needed to be built up to reseal. Which needed professional service. so at that point you need the full meal deal.
The reason you need an extra bearing is for the extra length of the bronco box most saginaw boxes are short with only one bearing which are what the kits are made for even if you buy from a bronco vendor.
Price wise it was cheaper to have mine rebuilt vs a new/resourced ready made box but not by much .