• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PS Reservoir for 5.0 Explorer Serp Conversion

O_FORD_O

Has anyone used a different (not stock Explorer) PS reservoir in their 5.0 Explorer serpentine conversion?

The reservoir I found in the junkyard is cracked. I would rather buy a new reservoir than hunt down another junkyard one, but I guess they don’t make new replacements anymore.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Factory Res is Obsolete from Ford.

Jaime at jac_specialties@yahoo.com built the one in the picture. He has been slow to respond to emails, previously it took him a while to build me a PS res as he was having supply issues during Covid.

If you get desparate, PM me I have a spare factory res I can sell you. Doug

OP
OP
O

O_FORD_O

Had this one made works great

Looks great too!

Jaime at jac_specialties@yahoo.com built the one in the picture. He has been slow to respond to emails, previously it took him a while to build me a PS res as he was having supply issues during Covid.

Thank you for the information and the offer Doug. I may hit you up about your spare factory one in the future if I don’t go with Jaime’s or one from Summit, etc.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Custom mount

My engine sits pretty high so the Power steering reservoir had to be lower than most to clear the hood brace Jamie did a good job on setting up the inlet and outlet on the reservoir I had to make my own mount one hole from the back side to hold the reservoir . New Sanden compressor Freon lines come straight up so I had to move the ps Reservoir forward towards the belt I have about 3,000 miles on the new engine with this set up

Attachments

• 4C8605E7-47B3-4BA1-8942-AB82A9A664F2.jpg
    4C8605E7-47B3-4BA1-8942-AB82A9A664F2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 53

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Why not make your own? I did, with help, though mine was overcomplicated and I wouldn't do it that way again.

Requires fab and weld skills, but most of us know someone who can weld if you can't yourself, and the fab part would be easy. Summit sells Moroso weld-in fill bungs with caps, both out of aluminum and steel. Likewise, they sell steel and aluminum AN weld bungs from several manufacturers, as well as lengths of steel and aluminum tubing in lots of diameters.

My thinking is to decide on a material- if I was doing it again myself it would be steel since I don't have the skills or equipment to weld aluminum, but I'm handy with a MIG and I own a wire feed welder. Steel it would be.

Decide how tall, cut a length of tube and some circles out of flat sheet. Weld together. Decide where the hose bungs should go, drill holes and weld bungs in. Cut hole for, then weld fill cap bung to top. Lots of ways to attach to the Explorer accessory drive mount- weld on some tabs, make a clamp, etc.

A steel one probably wouldn't look as pretty as a professionally machined and welded aluminum one, but one could fab it such that it fits perfectly.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
For my setup, I put my reservoir on the inner fender. Reservoir came from Ford passenger car, Fusion maybe? Right now I got a superduty reservoir for larger capacity that I am trying tto squeeze in somewhere...

Attachments

• IMG_4657.jpg
    IMG_4657.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 42

papy

Contributor
2003-2004 Super duty remote reservoir Cardone # 3R905 from rock auto
2003-2004 Super duty remote reservoir bracket from pick n pull

I could of used the explorer reservoir however i liked the idea of a bigger reservoir, and having two return ports for the HB and gearbox.

plus it holds way more fluid than the explorer one.

Attachments

• 63978486801__E6B454AB-9E6F-4BE0-B9DE-CCEC6DCA77BB.jpg
    63978486801__E6B454AB-9E6F-4BE0-B9DE-CCEC6DCA77BB.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 61

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA

Just an FYI follow up,

I reached out to Jaime again and he responded that he had contracted Covid :(

He has had a slow recovery (not a lot of gas in his tank to build Res after a full day at work) and he is behind on building Res. So be patient, the parts are worth the wait!

1buckeyefan1

Just an FYI follow up,

I reached out to Jaime again and he responded that he had contracted Covid :(

He has had a slow recovery (not a lot of gas in his tank to build Res after a full day at work) and he is behind on building Res. So be patient, the parts are worth the wait!

I was chatting with Jaime about a month back.. bummer to hear that. I was waiting to follow up once I got my body on and could get him some measurements.

Speaking of, have you (or others) asked him to move the bungs around so you don't have to mess w/ a relocation bracket? Here was his last note he sent me.. unsure which one the 'stock' explorer swap guys are going with. As it sounds like I really want the 351w version that sits even w/ the top of the explorer bracket?

One dimension I really need is top of mounting bracket to bottom of hood, cause I make two different ones one for 5.0 and one for 351w
On the ones for 5.0 the cap of reservoir is about 7/8" higher than the top of mounting bracket and the ones for 351w the top of reservoir is even with the top of mounting bracket hope it make sense.