• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer serp with hydroboost and ram reservoir questions

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I'm running a 351 with PSC's hi-output pump and their large alum reservoir with dual returns with the internal filter... what a royal PITA it's been to mount properly. I purchased the pump and filter before they were selling them to the public or to any parts vendors--guinea pig...

I started installation and immediately ran into clearance issues with the hood after figuring out how to clearance the pump bracket so the hose would exit the pump downward-no directions back then.

You absolutely must have the bottom of the outlet fitting for the reservoir above the inlet to the pump...btdt... remember that if you are going up a fairly steep incline and have a remote mounted reservoir you must take into account the angle and subsequent height difference when your rig is climbing a steep hill especially IF your reservoir is a foot or more from your pump -- this ruled out fender mount or firewall mount...(not sure how ANY fender mount reservoir works with the Exploder pump).

Even with a cooler and this large reservoir, my fluid will expand enough when working the ps hard, that it goes out the vent hole in the top of the reservoir and makes a mess. Next I need to attach a drain line to the vent-not easy as there isn't any threads.

I now have a W/H proflo hood and that has also helped some with my clearance issues even tho I ran it over a year with the stock hood. I've modified the Exploder mounting bracket enough now that it works ok. Next mod for this setup is I'm adapting the fitting (already have it) on the bottom (inlet) of the Exploder pump to a -12AN fitting to handle the flow requirements of the pump/ram/brakes. It is marginal at best on the suction side with the stock fitting according to PSC and the charts I've looked at. When first installed, it would collapse the suction hose at high rpm...these pumps pump a lot of fluid... that's fixed now also.

Good luck squeezing it in there!