• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pulls to the left on hard braking

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
check your pads/shoes, if you still have lining, it may be a line or a cylinder. Look at the one that is not grabbing, its not functioning at the same rate. Sometimes, if I leave them too long, the pad can get cocked, and drag, but you would have grinding.<br><br>All it really means is you need a brake job.<br><br>maintainance, maintenance, maintenance......goes on forever. <br><br>Dan

OP
OP
T

teknalee

[quote author=66horse link=board=5;threadid=9544;start=0#68387 date=1033019693]<br>put disks on.<br>[/quote]<br><br>help me find a job ;D

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
If it's still drums, I'd check my brake cylinders. Once can be leaking and allowing brake fluid to get on the pads. Tear apart the oposite side that it's pulling to, that will be the bad side. Other things to check are radius arm bushings, and track bar. Also can be a blockage in the brake line.

77bronko

Loc.
Norfolk MA
Brakes or a bushing or loose bearing or other loose steering component. If your brakes look good try bleeding them first. Oh, you have drums? get rid of them.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Some might not know this but the EB didn't come stock with self-adjusters on the front drum brakes. This means that they have to be manually adjusted. When my bronco starts to change lanes when I hit the brakes, it's time to adjust the front brakes. Kind of a PITA and some of the EB shops sell the self adjuster kits, but I never did that because I wanted to save the money for discs, which I am doing next week. Pull it apart and have a look-see and then put it back together and make sure they are adjusted evenly from side to side. Should be good to go.

JMurray

I`ve got a 70 with the origional d30 & it has self adjusters ?:?<br>Jerry

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=JMurray link=board=5;threadid=9544;start=0#68461 date=1033060168]<br>I`ve got a 70 with the origional d30 & it has self adjusters ?:?<br>Jerry<br>[/quote]<br><br>maybe they put them on some and not on others. The star adjuster is there on mine but no cable and bracket to do the adjusting. I was told by a dude at Wild Horses some years ago that they didn't put them on stock. My 74 doesn't have them and 2 other 73's that I did the front brakes on didn't have them. The rear does have them. Weird. All of the ones I have worked on have had the D44 front though.

justinsane

Loc.
Casper, Wyoming
Kinda strange. My 75 has self adjusters on the front. I've done lots of brake jobs, and I haven't seen drums without self adjusters since a 1964 I worked on.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
If you end up replacing the brake shoes buy new shoes and lining. Bendix makes them. I bought new ones a few months ago to stop mine from pulling after everthing else failed.<br><br>Bronco shoes fit lots of other vehicles. Rebuilders have a habit of mixing various manufactures of the same type. They are not all identical. One odd shoe on the front and it will pull.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=mark74ranger link=board=5;threadid=9544;start=0#68497 date=1033067980]<br>My 74 has self adjusters too.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Maybe I got some bad info from Wild Horses then. My 74 D44 has the adjusters but no cables and brackets to do the self adjusting and I have seen two other EB D44's that are the same way. Weird! ::)

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thought I remembered a brake guy telling me my radius arms bushings were bad and my brakes were perfect replaced the bushings and 8) no more wild rides under hard stops.