• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

pump sludge out of engine

RobsBronc

Loc.
sandy, ut
this is not my bronco but may help anyone with any engine. i bought a 91 grand am for 300$ with a blown head gasket. got it all back together and it runs but has no oil pressure. it wont even fill up the oil filter. there is a lot of sludge sitting in the oil passages that doesnt want to move. i have a can of sea foam detergent sitting in it right now hoping that will work. does anyone have any other ideas with out having to pull the pan? to pull the pan means pulling the whole engine on this one and i would rather not unless its the last resort.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
If you plan to drive the car for a long time, don't try this. Spray carb cleaner into the oil pan through the drain hole to loosen all the gunk up. Assuming the engine holds 4 quarts of oil, put in 3 quarts of kerosene and one quart of MM oil. Start it up and hold your breath. if it's goin to break up then it will with this solution. Just don't let it run for more than a couple of minutes, because this stuff is hell on bearings....if you still don't have any pressure then your oil pump is trashed.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Drain the oil and fill it with diesel fuel and let it soak for a good long time. this will break it down if let soak long enough. the problem you have is even if you do this when you drain the thing and fill it up with oil and start the engine all of the loose crap will just plug the pick-up screen and starve you of oil.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
[quote author=howiebilt link=board=5;threadid=12116;start=0#89585 date=1039381636]<br>Kerosene has always been the way the old timers did it . ?:?<br>[/quote]<br>Thanks man, I never thought somebody would call me an old timer! :'( ;D :'( ;D

dingo8

Loc.
Luzerne County, PA
[quote author=howiebilt link=board=5;threadid=12116;start=0#89585 date=1039381636]<br>Kerosene has always been the way the old timers did it . ?:?<br>[/quote]<br><br>yeah, i heard that from an ole timer friend of mine, and i just did that last week.<br><br>i actually did 3 flushes, with each flush consisting of 1-quart oil, and 5 quarts kerosene. i filled up and ran the engine for 1-2 minutes each time. the first flush came out black as hell, the second was kinda dark brown, and the third was nearly clear.