• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Purple Start Wire - Centech

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I did search and found some answers but not exactly what I am looking for. I just installed a Centech harness and Ryan's RJM EFI harness.
Everything went well but I am stuck on the purple wire on the Centech harness.

The RJM purple wire goes to the S post on the external starter solenoid.

I have two purple Centech wires labeled start and don’t know what to do with them. I took the harness apart and it looks like they are joined together on the passenger side in front of the firewall to another purple wire that goes to the ignition.
One wire is at the passenger side firewall and is about 4 feet long.
The other is much longer and exits the Centech harness at the battery. It is about 7 feet long.

I am running the C4 auto and know that I need to run one down to the stock red wires for the trans natural safety switch then back out to the S post.

It would make more since to me if the Centech harness had a two purple start wire on the drivers side that ran to the trans and one at the passenger side near the battery that went to the S post but this is not what I am seeing.

Also when I am done should I have two purple wires on the S post? One from the RJM and one from the Centech?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
one comes out of the harness close to the firewall, the other comes out near the battery. the one near the battery can be connected to the I terminal on the solenoid. the one next to the firewall is there so you can connect it through the neutral safety switch as an option if you have one.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
It's been 8 years since I installed my Centech harness, but my recollection is that there were two purple wires to give you a variety of wiring options. You don't need both of them. You have it right- run one of them to the neutral safety switch, then run the existing wire from the switch to the S terminal on the starter relay. Ignore or cut off the extra purple Centech wire.

The Ford EFI computer needs a start only signal. The RJM harness gets that signal from the purple wire going to the S terminal. So yes, you'll have two purple wires on the S terminal when you are finished.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Thanks but there is an I TERM white wire in the Centech harness that is suposed to go to the I terminal and it would power the white Coil wire. My EFI system does not need these wires.

Also the purple wire should go to the neutral safety switch but is also needs to come back and hit the S post. I can cut the Centech harness and make this work but want to make sure before I cut up my new harness.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Lars.... You posted while I was responding to 73Stalion but you answered my question.

THANK YOU. this is what I was looking for.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Yes cut it , your plan will work.
Just make sure the RJM harness gets its start power, does not matter where it gets it from.