• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Puzzled and Pissed

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
Okay,

So yesterday hop in and fires up like normal, get going a couple miles and it sputters and is gutless. Can't get it over 50, give it a little (lot) more gas and it coughs up a couple good bangs! Turn around and go home.

Let it all cool down. Edelbrock carb is getting gas. Distributor has not budged. Trans fluid smells good, looks good.

Try again today after making sure mechanical fuel pump is working. Can't find a vacuum leak. Brand new clean fuel filter.

It revs up fine, but put in gear and drive and it's a joke. Bogs down, no power, eventually speeds up but not like normal and feels labored.

What do you guys think? What else should I check?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If it was running good before, you need to consider what might have changed.
Could be something like a plugged filter, bad fuel pump, or maybe just a bad ignition capacitor. It's always better to consider recent work before going crazy.;)

triracer67

Contributor
Check the spark and fuel. What are you running for coil, dizzy? Is it getting 12v power? Really sounds more like spark, pull a plug and check intensity.

OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
Only recent work was swapped in my new BC Broncos heavy duty rad. Ran like a champ all day long after that.

Running HEI Dizzy.

bwyman

I would check The voltage to the distributor. If it is an HEi it requires 12v to run properly not resisted voltage . The other problem could be the HEI module.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Another idea is to check the plug wires. I've seen a single wire in a set just die. It will carry enough voltage to idle but not under load. Pull the wires one at a time while the engine is running. If you find one that does not change the idle you have found the bad wire.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
The symptoms sound very similar to a problem I recently had with my 84 Bronco 300. I'm running a Duraspark II set up and it turned out to be the coil. I'm not that familiar with HEI - does that have the coil on top of the dizzy?

OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
Dizzy has been good since being put on a year ago. Ill start at the plug wires and work back from there.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
How many miles on it? I'm thinking timing chain.. sounds like a timing issue. Seems like youve checked the usual suspects.

OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
Ok, here's the deal, had a spare HEI dizzy from another mystery illness.

After checking all fuel system components, every spark plug, swapping out the coil, checked initial timing. Everything was where it should be.

Popped the cap off the dizzy, pulled the rotor, BOTH VAC ADVANCE WEIGHTS WERE BROKEN AND LYING IN PIECES inside the dizzy.

Swapped in my other weights, and she's back to AWESOME.

Anyone else every see that one?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Seen lots of jammed up advance mechanisms, and that's what I was going to point too as well as the others. But no, can't say I've EVER seen or heard of the weights actually breaking!

Strange...

Paul

OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
I just knew something "broke" because it was fine one day and jacked up the next.

Thx for the help everyone!