• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

puzzled look and scratching my head.

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
my blinkers stopped working today. also the emergency flasher won't flash. I tried changing the flasher. didn't help. I noticed that when I pull out ( turn on) the emergency flasher knob and put the turn indicator in the turn left or right position and step on the brake all at the same time, both blinker indicator lights on the instrument cluster come on and stay on without blinking. the turn signal switch is newly installed. I've been called many things but never an electrician. please help.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Not sure if it works the same way on our EB's. But on other vehicles I've owned. When a bulb is burnt out the indicator light(s) will stay on solid. So check your turn signal bulbs. Hope this helps.

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
Make sure all bulbs are in and and in correctly. I remember old Mustang lighting where all the lights had to be in because it was a looped system using the bulbs as grounds too. If a light was missing, there was an issue.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
The turn signal switch is newly installed

I would start right there^^.Might need to go back in the column and check things out.Sounds like something grounding out in there maybe.

What Broncopete 78 said.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
my blinkers stopped working today. also the emergency flasher won't flash. I tried changing the flasher. didn't help. I noticed that when I pull out ( turn on) the emergency flasher knob and put the turn indicator in the turn left or right position and step on the brake all at the same time, both blinker indicator lights on the instrument cluster come on and stay on without blinking. the turn signal switch is newly installed. I've been called many things but never an electrician. please help.

Mine does this after the 4 wheel junky harness and Flaming river colum....I just dont use the flashers anymore......but all my brake lights and blinkers work w/o the flashers on

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Don't really have any feedback to help solve your problem, but did want to point out the emergency flasher and the turn flasher are two separate units. So if both are not working then the problem is elsewhere.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

Lets get rid of the useless symptoms first.

1) The turn indicators are connected to the front turn lights only. That way they don't come on when you step on the brake.
2) The hazard switch connects all front and rear turn lights together (including turn indicators) along with the output from the hazard flasher when the switch is on.
3) The brake light switch over rides the hazard switch. In other words, the hazard circuit causes the 6 bulbs to flash because the flasher is turning on and off. The brake light current is constant as long as the pedal is pressed. The brake light current will be shared between all 6 bulbs when the hazard switch is on making the turn indicators light up solidly.

There are 2 flashers, turn signal and hazard. Turn flasher has a blue connector. Hazard power comes from fuse #5. Turn signal power comes from fuse #2.

OP
OP
B

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
I am still puzzled. Here is what I've found. The blinkers don't work at all.

in the past when I wanted to use the emergency flashing lights I had to pull the knob for the emergency flashing lights and turn the turn signal to either the left or right turn position. Is this normal operating procedure? or should the emergency flasher work without having to engage the turn signal also? This morning when I pulled the emergency flasher knob the lights flashed like they are supposed to but, only for a few seconds (without engaging the turn signal). Then they stopped and I'm back to the same problem again. kinda looks like a bad connection somewhere. Automotive wiring is confusing. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Here's a question that's unrelated. My aux tank doesn't have a vent tube. Is that common with a 69?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
with the engine started turn on your turn signels if theyy dont work try wiggling the key a little. on mine sometimes the turn signels and dash guages dont work and a little wiggle makes better contact in the ignition switch and everything works well again.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I am still puzzled. Here is what I've found. The blinkers don't work at all.

in the past when I wanted to use the emergency flashing lights I had to pull the knob for the emergency flashing lights and turn the turn signal to either the left or right turn position. Is this normal operating procedure? or should the emergency flasher work without having to engage the turn signal also? This morning when I pulled the emergency flasher knob the lights flashed like they are supposed to but, only for a few seconds (without engaging the turn signal). Then they stopped and I'm back to the same problem again. kinda looks like a bad connection somewhere. Automotive wiring is confusing. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Here's a question that's unrelated. My aux tank doesn't have a vent tube. Is that common with a 69?

That's relevant info. Your hazards don't work by themselves but will when the turn signal switch is on. That is not normal operation. It indicates the hazard flasher is either bad or the hazard power is bad. By turning on the turn signal switch you provide the power for the hazards to work. It also indicates your turn signal switch is most likely bad since the TS power and flasher are working.

'69 didn't have a vent tube. The gas caps were vented.

OP
OP
B

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
Right on Viperwolf1 and rustytruck!! Turns out the hazard flasher was bad. And the ignition switch has a bad spot when in the auxiliary position. As a matter of fact I found that the ignition switch doesn't even need a key. A screwdriver can be used. Next on my list of fix its. Thanks a bunch guys!!
Interesting about the vent tube. Without it filling the tank is a slow process. Again thank you!!!