• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

quadrajet carbs

bigbadktm

Loc.
East CountySan Diego
I just bought four of these bad boys for $45, but I know nothing about carbs in general. How do I go about finding out what model or CFM they are.

Also, what other things do I need to get to be able to hook this up to my 302 with a performer intake on it. I have no throttle linkage setup right now, as I just converted from a I6 to a V8 and have yet to buy any type of throttle cable or linkage.

any help is appreciated, just consider me a newbie...;D

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
The model # on the carb body is going to be your key. Rebuild kits run around $20 if you do it yourself. I used an Edelbrock spreadbore carb to squarebore intake adapter from Summit. Bolts right up to the Performer intake and the Q-jet with NO mods required. I'm also running Chuck's carberator SS braided throttle cable from BC Broncos. Almost feels like I've got EFI with this setup!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Most q junks flow 750 cfm no big deal as they are vacuum secondaries and will only flow what your engine can use. There are a few different versions some flow more and I believe there is a rare version that is only about 650 cfm. There should be some info on the net just type in your PN.
It will require a spread bore adapter to fit your manifold.
Also be aware that some of the choke setups are not desireable and there are some electronic versions which are also undesireable. If theres any wires coming out the top of the carb then you dont want it.
You may also need a body lift or need to cut a hole in your hood for clearance.
Qjunks can have a lot of problems you may need all 4 to get one that works good. Once they are running they usually run good but I've always found they dont seem to like dusty condtions. run what you got I guess. I had a qjunk I was going to play with but I happily sold it when the chance came along.

78Scronco

Bronco Guru
I have an new edlebrock square bore To spreadbore(quadrajet) adapter for sale if interested. sorry to hijack

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Send it to Mike @ The CarburatorShop in Santa Ana, CA.

He will make it new and dyno it to your specs.

Last edited:

Vintage Steel

Loc.
Post Falls, ID
Most q junks flow 750 cfm... you may need all 4 to get one that works good. .
If you plan on just bolting on on and running that statement is 100% true. Q-Jets need to be tuned to the engine (it's a lot of work) but, done properly they will deliver excellent performance and economy and out perform virtually every off the shelf bolt on carb you can buy.
Also Q-J's are prone to warping check the main body with a straight edge to ensure you get the straightest one you can find.
http://www.quadrajetcarburetors.com/unwarp-tool.html
this tool can straighten the worst of the worst (I have one) but at $500 it is probably not an option for somebody just working on 1 or 2 carbs.
http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify-Rochester-Quadrajet-Carburetors/dp/1932494189
This book is a bargain @ $20 if you're going to work on a Q-J buy this book.

OP
OP
bigbadktm

bigbadktm

Loc.
East CountySan Diego
If you plan on just bolting on on and running that statement is 100% true. Q-Jets need to be tuned to the engine (it's a lot of work) but, done properly they will deliver excellent performance and economy and out perform virtually every off the shelf bolt on carb you can buy.
Also Q-J's are prone to warping check the main body with a straight edge to ensure you get the straightest one you can find.
http://www.quadrajetcarburetors.com/unwarp-tool.html
this tool can straighten the worst of the worst (I have one) but at $500 it is probably not an option for somebody just working on 1 or 2 carbs.
http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify-Rochester-Quadrajet-Carburetors/dp/1932494189
This book is a bargain @ $20 if you're going to work on a Q-J buy this book.

I actually just picked up that book today. lots of pictures, but I may still end up taking it somewhere to have one rebuilt. Looks like a lot of special tools and machining.

Anybody know of a good carb place in San Diego? just don't wanna send it off and find out that it's junk. would rather deal locally if at all possible.

OP
OP
bigbadktm

bigbadktm

Loc.
East CountySan Diego

That is a nice carb on ebay there, if I can't get one of these rebuilt for less than that, I may have to pick one of those up.

As far as part #s from what I could find were as follows: 7044526 bz (or2 not sure) 2413; 17055037 2903; and the other 2 didn't have #'s that I could find. not sure about the choke types either, i took pics but I can't post em up. lost my atm card so i cant contribute to the site for at least 2 weeks til i get a new card.

anybody know a ballpark of what it would cost to rebuild a carb?

Scrapper_MV

Jet Performance in Huntington Beach, CA will make that carb run perfect. Give them a call.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is a nice carb on ebay there, if I can't get one of these rebuilt for less than that, I may have to pick one of those up.

As far as part #s from what I could find were as follows: 7044526 bz (or2 not sure) 2413; 17055037 2903; and the other 2 didn't have #'s that I could find. not sure about the choke types either, i took pics but I can't post em up. lost my atm card so i cant contribute to the site for at least 2 weeks til i get a new card.

anybody know a ballpark of what it would cost to rebuild a carb?

IIRC the number starting with "1705.." is the actual carb number that a parts store with 'real books' can cross-reference to the correct kit. And make sur you ask for a new float too, if your decide to rebuild it..the rebuild kits do not come with a float but the q-jets usually need one since they use the composite type.

no idea what a quality rebuild job costs these days..its been over 25 years since I worked in a carb shop and the q-jet rebuilds only cost about 70 bucks total for everything back then %)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Last guy that posted a carb rebuild price was going to pay over $300 for that price you could buy a remaned or maybe even a new one. I'd say there should be some cheaper shops but there will be a differance between rebuilding and modifing you take one of them carbs to a shop and tell them you want all these mods you read about done then its going to cost you even more. Unless they specailize in qjunks. I'd just do it yourself then worst case your only out a rebuild kit and some time. If they are in decent condition you migh just bolt one on and see if it even works. Then rebuild if needed.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
that ebay guy posted above guarantees for his rebuild for life, hard to beat that for $250

OP
OP
bigbadktm

bigbadktm

Loc.
East CountySan Diego
called a couple of places and got quotes for $340 from one guy and $229 from the other. I may just go with ebay guy and put these quadrajets back on craigslist, c'mon tax return get here already

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Like I said get a rebuild kit and do it yourself if your going to run a qjunk that would be the only reason to run one as it would be cheap.