• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quality of Winch?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Is this the one?
http://www.winchdepot.com/winchDetail.asp?partNumber=7650150
By the time I ad tax to the ramsey 9500, I am at 513$. Another 40$ and I'm at this milemarker. May be too much winch for a multimount, but I can beef up the multimount if needed.

Close. Mine is the 12000E. I don't know what the difference is between it and the SE12000 other than the controller. (My controller looks more like a game joystick) I got mine through 4 Wheel Parts for $599 and it included the 3/8" cable and roller fairlead. (I figured the fairlead was worth $80 to $100 more since nothing else in that price range had one)

OX1

Bronco Guru
Close. Mine is the 12000E. I don't know what the difference is between it and the SE12000 other than the controller. (My controller looks more like a game joystick) I got mine through 4 Wheel Parts for $599 and it included the 3/8" cable and roller fairlead. (I figured the fairlead was worth $80 to $100 more since nothing else in that price range had one)

Looks like yours is different than the newer one. Specs are not even the same (like yours has a 5.5 HP motor, new one has 4.8).

http://www.4x4review.com/products/electrical/mmarker-e12000.jpg
http://www.4x4review.com/products/electrical/milemarker-E12000-specs.asp

http://www.autoanything.com/generic_pages/product_image.aspx?id=165803&p_id=2223
http://www.milemarker.com/SE12000.html

Just in visual comparison, the freewheel handle looks cheesier and the remote seems crappier on the SE. Maybe the rest of the new one is not made as well either and hence why you guys with the older version have not had problems?? The E reminds me of my warn 12000, not that looks are everything....... I have really not found any favorable reviews on the SE 12K so I may just stick with that Ramsey........

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Looks like yours is different than the newer one. Specs are not even the same (like yours has a 5.5 HP motor, new one has 4.8).

http://www.4x4review.com/products/electrical/mmarker-e12000.jpg
http://www.4x4review.com/products/electrical/milemarker-E12000-specs.asp

http://www.autoanything.com/generic_pages/product_image.aspx?id=165803&p_id=2223
http://www.milemarker.com/SE12000.html

Just in visual comparison, the freewheel handle looks cheesier and the remote seems crappier on the SE. Maybe the rest of the new one is not made as well either and hence why you guys with the older version have not had problems?? The E reminds me of my warn 12000, not that looks are everything....... I have really not found any favorable reviews on the SE 12K so I may just stick with that Ramsey........

I've seen the handle mentioned on the SE version before. I've heard it is plastic while mine isn't. Warn, Milemarker, and Ramsey are all leaders in the winch market so I would probably buy any of them for the right price. Superwinch was a leader at one time but I'm not even sure if they still make winches or not.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Mine is the 12000E also, I noticed the free wheel handle was alot cheesier than mine also. My winch controler shxt out on me along time ago. I rewired it with a 4 prong trailer plug like the Warns use. Other than that it has been great. I have seriously considered going with synthetic rope because I'm tiered of fighting the 3/8 cable.

David

OX1

Bronco Guru
I checked around this morning and the E12000 is no longer avail anywhere.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have an SE and the brake handle is plastic. Not sure what the steps would be to replace it, but mine hasn't broken yet, ~15 pulls.

OP
OP
Kaw-Liga

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
Thats a lot of good info-thanks. I think I'm interested in going with a PTO winch. In my process of thinking I've come up with only one downfall-the motor has to be running for the winch to operate. Is this the only bad thing you all can think of? I know it is a pretty big downfall, but I figure that with as much water and mud that I drive through an electric winch might not last too long either. Also, does anyone know about how long an electric winch would take to kill a battery if the engine was dead? Like if I was stuck and stalled how much time would I have to get my self out before the winch drained the battery? I never go out alone so I think that even if the engine dies(if I had a PTO) then I'd still get snatched out by my buddy. If I go with a PTO setup what all exactly do I need to have. The winch, driveshafts(two I think) carrier bearing(not sure if thats what it is called) pto(part that connects to the d20) and shifter lever right? I can use a pto with my 302, np435, d 20 right? Lastly will my full length headers interfere with the driveshafts? And will it work if I swap to a 351w sometime in the near future? Thanks for all the input, lots of questions I know!

Rob

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if the engine is dead you have bigger problems like getting back out of where you came in battery wont last very long pto's are awesome i would at least look at the milemarker hydraulic in my opinion you are pretty much dependent on the motor running with any winch especially in mud ( i have two miles of serious mud to get to my hunting camp)

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
what model of ramsey are you guys running (the one with the worm gear)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
A PTO winch is a good bet. You can hook it straight to the NP435 might be a easier solution definetly easier to find parts to do it Chelsea sells outputs for just about any tranny. The NP435 is popular so it would be no problem getting a output. A D20 output is a little harder to find. Kinda sucks as right before I left the states I saw a D20 PTO output on a old Wagoneer in the pick and pull I should have grabbed it but I didnt have the time. Routing the PTO shaft could be a task though with long tube headers a 351W swap really wont make any differance although it will move the exhuast up a little from where the 302 is currently. One header option is hooker fenderwells they run outside the frame and free up all kinds of room around the engine.
Most of the PTO drives use a cable to engauge/disengauge so it make the install very easy.
The only other drawback beside needing the engine running is they are usually pricey

OP
OP
Kaw-Liga

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
So I see that I can get brand new hydraulic winches made my Mile Marker. Lets talk about those for a second. I assume they have the same basic benifits and drawbacks as the PTO(run forever, "water proof", need engine running) what do I do for a pump? Are they faster,slower, or about the same speed as PTOs? I guess it is dependent on engine speed right. One more, if I do PTO I can have power to the winch and to the tires so that I can help the winch get me out right? Still thinking.

Rob

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Thats a lot of good info-thanks. I think I'm interested in going with a PTO winch. In my process of thinking I've come up with only one downfall-the motor has to be running for the winch to operate. Is this the only bad thing you all can think of? I know it is a pretty big downfall, but I figure that with as much water and mud that I drive through an electric winch might not last too long either. Also, does anyone know about how long an electric winch would take to kill a battery if the engine was dead? Like if I was stuck and stalled how much time would I have to get my self out before the winch drained the battery? I never go out alone so I think that even if the engine dies(if I had a PTO) then I'd still get snatched out by my buddy. If I go with a PTO setup what all exactly do I need to have. The winch, driveshafts(two I think) carrier bearing(not sure if thats what it is called) pto(part that connects to the d20) and shifter lever right? I can use a pto with my 302, np435, d 20 right? Lastly will my full length headers interfere with the driveshafts? And will it work if I swap to a 351w sometime in the near future? Thanks for all the input, lots of questions I know!

Rob

My experince is that an electric winch is good for around 30 feet of pull on a good battery. This is based on using an 8274 to winch my old Scout II about 120 feet when it was submerged in water that was up to the top of the motor. Twice I've had rigs of mine in situations where there was no way to get another rig to it to pull on it and had to rely on the electric winch because the engine was dead. It was a pain to carry batteries back and forth (One charging while the other was winching) but by doing so I was able to winch it out both times. The time it was submerged I winched it out far enough to get a strap on it and towed it to camp. I pulled the plugs and pumped the water out and once it was dry enough I started it up. The one item I neglected was the front wheel bearings which failed about a month later. About 3 years later the winch was still working when I sold the rig.

As far as the electric winch failing from mud and water there are only 2 big concerns. First is to be sure that they are allowed to cool down when they start getting hot. Heat is the fastest way to kill them. The second is to keep the relay pack as dry as possible. While it will still work even if it's wet the moisture will eventually corrode the connections. In the case of the submersion above my relay pack was above the water inside the engine bay. Other than this I have never had any problems with them working even when submerged in mud or water. I don't think I would leave the winch motor submerged for too long though as water would eventually seap into it.

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
i have had several warn winches also ,, and they too can be un reliable , and i live here where they are made ,,, and still couldnt get a good warranty from them !!!!

a winch i think , is a winch .. and all of them need some maintinance now and then ,, to keep them up and working good ,,,

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I had a 9500 Warn on my old Tahoe and worked it pretty hard, it always got really hot, but never quit. I even pulled until the battery quit on more than one occasion. I have a 12k Warn on my Power Wagon at work, and it is absolutely awesome. It pulls slower than the 9500, but the additional power is very impressive.

I was always told to go at least 1.5 times the weight of your vehicle. I think going at least 2 times is a better practice, for when your buried to the frame in gooey mud, or stuck in a deep hole... I would not go any lighter than a 9500 lb winch, but would probably prefer a 12k lb for extra measure...

I don't have one on my bronco yet, just my .02

cobra70

Loc.
Bryan, Tx
i do not have one on my bronco but have a 10,000# winch i got from harbor freight on my trailer and have pulled many cars with it.From what my son said it looks like a mile marker. I also had a two car trailer with a 9000# super winch that did great pulled a bronco with all brakes locked up with it on the trailer and it did not slow down.

Mudman78

Loc.
Lyndhurst
i have a 10,000# winch i got from harbor freight on my trailer. From what my son said it looks like a mile marker.

Your son is correct. The new (Made in China) Mile Markers and the Harbor Freight house brand winches are made by the same company.