• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quest for NV3550

dalelease

Loc.
Fayetteville
Kind of frustrated at this point. Was hoping to find a decent used NV3550 for what it was worth. Not sure if I'm using the word "worth" loosely, but apparently you can't touch a used one for less than $700. This seems INSANE to me!! Am I being unreasonable? I'm basing this on the fact that I can buy a brand new one online for around $1,000. Why should someone pay $700 for a trans with 88,000 miles on it when a new one costs $1,000. So far I've been hitting up all the local junk yards, but most of the small time yards don't have any Wrangler parts, and the big lots want top dollar. Bottom line I guess...if anyone knows a better source in the Fayetteville, NC area, or has any other good ideas on where to find one for cheaper, let me know. I have been waiting for a long time to do this swap, and have a very itchy trigger finger. I have the full adapter/conversion kit standing by. All I need is the trans.

Dale

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Dale I feel your pain. Watch Craigslist and if you have an android phone get the craigslist app that notifies you when something is posted. There is one near me at a yard that they want $450 for however they pulled an 1/8" pin out of the case on a magnet when they pulled from the Jeep. It has been on their shelves for 2 plus years. I am going to offer them $200 for it (a core price) and see what happens. I am with you though, for the money the used ones are pulling down I will go new.

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Be careful...
There have been a couple posts lately of trannys with issues. Both appear to be second hand.
This doesn't mean you'll have issues too. My son has one in his Jeep and has had no problems at all. Just inspect it personally before handing over your money.

VT_Don

re: "Just inspect it personally before handing over your money"

Here's the issue, as you'll be unlikely to road test the unit, and there's no inspection cover, there is absolutely no way to evaluate it. None at all. You're buying a pig in a poke and the seller knows it.

OK, so the salvage yard gives you a 30-day return policy, BFD. Most of us are faced with project vehicles that are months or years away from seeing use.

When dealing with salvage yards, you're in the driver's seat as cash is king. The way I do business is to divorce yourself from any attachment to what you're negotiating for. Put CASH on the table and politely say "take it or leave it." Trust me, if there's no one standing in line behind you, you'll likely own it. Letting cash walk out the door when you're setting on inventory is poor business. Believe me, this hobby is peanuts to the transmission aftermarket compared to $50,000 SUVs and luxury imports. No one with any brains is speculating of NV3550 futures.

Unfortunately, every small town has a local yard owned by some simple-minded hoarder. The kind where the goober running the place thinks everything he owns is gold, and what he sees for asking prices on Ebay is market value. Best to save the aggravation and let him die among his treasures.

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
I was lucky enough to find one locally for $200 from an auto shop that advertised on craigslist, but I am going to probably have to have it rebuilt or at the very least gone through, and then with the adapters etc... still looking at $1000-$1500. For now it's just sitting on a shelf, unfortunately. It's on the list....