• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question about axle widths

joeray

Contributor
Just an old guy driving an EB for 35 yrs
My 69 had a 4 wheel alignment the other day. The spec sheet indicates the width of the rear axle (seating surface for the wheels) is narrower than the front. It's a D44 with Chevy disc brakes in the front with the original small bearing axle (10" drum brakes) on the rear. Are the the big bearing rear axles wider than the small bearing version? Just curious if this is caused by mis-matching axles, early vs late production. See the attached image.

Thrust Line Reduced.jpg

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
That's normal. Not just with Broncos, I think every 4x4 vehicle that I've owned was like that.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Perfectly normal. Only a handful of vehicles produced have equal axle widths front to rear. One of the reasoning is it keeps the rear tire tracking closer to the front tire in a turn.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
In case you don't believe the first 2 responses.... here's another - yup, it's stock/normal.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Perfectly normal. Only a handful of vehicles produced have equal axle widths front to rear. One of the reasoning is it keeps the rear tire tracking closer to the front tire in a turn.
What exactly does normal mean? Normal for a Bronco, or normal for a 4x4, or normal for a subgroup that doesn't represent the population?

Every Willys Jeep CJ built from 1942 to 1975 runs a 48.5 inch WMS. (Just one number for both ends.) The Willys pickup from the 40's to the 60's run a 59.25 up front, and a 65.5 out back. So 5+ inches wider in the rear. The 87+ Chevy K trucks are 71 up front and 67 in the rear. Every Dually I've ever seen is pretty wide out back.

It's all about packaging, and steering. If you want higher steering angles, you need a wider front axle. If you want rear tires that fit under the wheelhouse, you need a narrow rear axle. That's why the Bronco is narrow out back. So @nvrstuk and @Yeller are right again. Normal. (nothing I like less than applying statistics to non Gaussian multi-modal distributions. Please forgive this Six Sigma Black Belt...)

As far as the big bearing vs small bearing, the answer to @joeray is "no." And "yes." Assuming that spline engagement is constant...Sometimes BB is wider than SB. Sometimes not. @Viperwolf1 posted this back in 2009. It's still true. And they are all within 1/4 inch.

'66-'75, 28 spline, big bearing
short side: 26 15/16"
long side: 29 1/4"
'66-'75 28 spline, small bearing
short side: 27 1/8"
long side: 29 5/8"
'74-'75 28 spline, big bearing/small brakes
short side: 27 1/4"
long side: 29 3/4"
'76- '77 28 spline, big bearing/big brakes
short side: 27 3/16"
long side: 29 11/16"

OP
OP
joeray

joeray

Contributor
Just an old guy driving an EB for 35 yrs
In case you don't believe the first 2 responses.... here's another - yup, it's stock/normal.
Ok, thanks guys, I believe you!! BTW, I got lucky here in Central Oregon because we have a really intelligent guy here who does alignments at your house. He specializes in race cars, classics, drift cars, etc.. He aligned the bronco for me, including offsets to correct the camber. No local shop here would have done that for me. Here's a few photos of the process.

20221104_102439.jpg 20221104_102806.jpg 20221104_103901.jpg 20221104_110114.jpg Before Measurements.jpg Current Measurements.jpg

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
That’s awesome to have that resource!! Way better than my prop protractor, tape measure and chalk.

For those that just said what the ….. is a Prop Protractor???? only one of the easiest angle finder/protractor to ever to be made.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
1.5" wheel spacers up front and 2" wheel spacers on rear axle with same wheel all around will bring it close to equal.