• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question about going with electronic fuel injection

MikeKC130J

Contributor
Does any one have any experience with the Electronic Fuel Injection 600HP Self-Tuning Fuel Injection System (Fi tech)that is sold on wild horses web site? It is considerable less expensive than the quick fuel system I was looking at. Any help

ChrisC74

jvelazquez

I have 5 months with it and I can't be more than pleased. I've been in the dunes and it was the great solution for the whole problems I had when I was using a carb. Street wise is also great. I gained couple of MPG. Recommended 110%.

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Have the 600 HP unit on my 408W. So far so good. Had it off-road and it worked well. Not many miles on it right now. I think it's still learning. One issue I had was it died after cruising at steady throttle, then braking to turn, died mid-turn. It fires up very quickly.

The fuel command center was not available (sold out, long lead time). I went with a Walbro pump and the Corvette Fuel filter/regulator that has a return from the filter.

Knuck

Thanks for posting that info about the Vette fuel filter with built in return. That makes things VERY simple. I like it....a lot.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
The fuel command center was not available (sold out, long lead time). I went with a Walbro pump and the Corvette Fuel filter/regulator that has a return from the filter.

Thanks for posting that info about the Vette fuel filter with built in return. That makes things VERY simple. I like it....a lot.

Me too Knuck!

Reynard,

What year Vette is the filter/regulator off of?

And do you have a part # for the Walbro pump?

I'm looking at picking a Fitech 400 series but if I can get away w/o buying the Fuel Cmd. Ctr....well then ;D

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Me too Knuck!

Reynard,

What year Vette is the filter/regulator off of?

And do you have a part # for the Walbro pump?

I'm looking at picking a Fitech 400 series but if I can get away w/o buying the Fuel Cmd. Ctr....well then ;D

filter, Wix 33737 Complete In-Line Fuel Filter (think it's a C5 Corvette)

link for filter... http://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-Complete-In-Line-Filter/dp/B000C9UJUU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01

pump, Walbro GSL392 255LPH Universal Inline External High Pressure Fuel Pump

link for pump... http://www.ebay.com/itm/171155381796?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Knuck

Here is another option for the above setup if you don't want to use AN fittings. There are metal fittings like this available also.

Dorman Barbed adapters

Here is a link to a set that are metal. It also comes with an AN-6 fitting for the output of the filter. Just need another single quick-connect to barbed fitting.

Metal quick connect barbed fittings

Just need to use an AN to barbed adapter for the output side of the filter.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't want to come off like an idiot, but I see the Walbro pump and the Corvette Fuel filter/regulator, but what's the black unit feeding the pump? Don't see any wires. Is it a pre-pump filter similar to the FiTech setup? I really like the set up and am getting close to running the fuel system for my build.

http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-GoEFISystemFuelPumpKit

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Don't want to come off like an idiot, but I see the Walbro pump and the Corvette Fuel filter/regulator, but what's the black unit feeding the pump? Don't see any wires. Is it a pre-pump filter? I really like the set up and am getting close to running the fuel system for my build.

Aeromotive pre-filter.

viper982

Loc.
Beaverton
So how does the return work? I am assuming that you have the return blocked off on the Fitech unit and the pump pushes fuel to the filter and just returns what cant make it to the line feeding the Fitech unit.....?

reynard101

Bronco Guru
So how does the return work? I am assuming that you have the return blocked off on the Fitech unit and the pump pushes fuel to the filter and just returns what cant make it to the line feeding the Fitech unit.....?

The Corvette filter is a filter and regulator. It has it's own input, supply, and return fittings. Regulated to 58 psi, that's what FiTech manual says it requires. Yep, I blocked the FiTech unit return line off.

It supplies 58 psi through the line. Other fuel goes to return line.

And one cautionary note about the fittings on the filter/regulator. Side with single out is output to FiTech. Input side has 2 fittings. Center one is return line. Offset one is fuel input from pump.

1_2002_fuel_filter_1.JPG

1_2002_fuel_filter_2.JPG

viper982

Loc.
Beaverton
The Corvette filter is a filter and regulator. It has it's own input, supply, and return fittings. Regulated to 58 psi, that's what FiTech manual says it requires. Yep, I blocked the FiTech unit return line off.

It supplies 58 psi through the line. Other fuel goes to return line.

And one cautionary note about the fittings on the filter/regulator. Side with single out is output to FiTech. Input side has 2 fittings. Center one is return line. Offset one is fuel input from pump.

1_2002_fuel_filter_1.JPG

1_2002_fuel_filter_2.JPG

Seems like this is the way to go if it works well, prevents you from having to run 2 fuel lines to the engine compartment to feed the Fitech. I am still up in the air weather or not to purchase one, seems like some people are having issues and others aren't having any problems at all.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
....I am still up in the air weather or not to purchase one, seems like some people are having issues and others aren't having any problems at all.

Weren't most of the initial issues w/ the fuel command center and not the EFI unit itself?

I read about the check valve issue on the Cmd. ctr. which I want to say I've read FI is fixing now w/ a depression at the valve or something. And I've read the opinions that it could become fuel starved while in some of those precarious positions you guys place yourself off-roading :p but aren't both of those on the Cmd. ctr. v. the TB?

I'm was trying to add up all my milk money for the street 400 but want to make sure it's what I want, $700 is a lot of money in my hot rod budget and especially when there's two mouths to feed between the Stang and the EB.

What others problems have you heard of?