• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question on driver side aux fuel tank

valveamp

Hi. I just replaced my rear tank due to contamination problems. I'm wondering if I need to replace the side tank. Been doing a little reading on the subject and I saw a note saying the side tank is a factory poly tank. Is this correct? If so, should I worry about contamination from the poly tank? The contamination I have is a very fine black powder, small enough to get through the filters. I saw some evidence of this in the pickup fuel sock on the main tank. However, not sure where it could come from. If the side tank is poly, is it possible I'm getting fine particles coming off the tank? Maybe my problem is the Aux tank and not the main tank. I was thinking if the side tank is poly, I don't need to worry about rust or metal corrosion, but maybe I have plastic that starting to break down. Anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
The factory aux tank is poly. I don't know how contamination from the aux tank could make it's way to the main tank if it were a problem withe the aux tank. The aux tank is easy enough to pull and inspect. You could probably pull the sending unit and check it out while still in the truck. They are easy enough to clean out with a hose and some soap.

OP
OP
V

valveamp

Agree, I don't see how plastic "dust" from one tank could get to the other, but I also can't figure out why the dust is black. Inside of the rear tank doesn't look bad, but I can't see it all. Anyway, I think I'm going to pull and replace the Aux tank just to be sure. If the plastic is starting to break down, I don't think cleaning will help but, again, I don't know if that's what's going on, just speculation at this point.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Maybe some A-hole put something in the main tank or you got bad fuel from a station?

Small enough to get through the filters is dang small.....What type of filter?

Tim

OP
OP
V

valveamp

Filters are the stock carb mounted Autolite style. I put in a NAPA gold series. I added a cheap Autozone generic paper filter with a see through housing so I could tell if it was getting clogged. It did start to turn black. I also thought that, perhaps, someone had put something in my gas tank, also, but this stuff is so fine, I'm not sure what they could have put in.

JAFO, tell me more about any experience you have with the fuel line breaking down.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Could be coming from the filling station. This is especially true if you're filling from a tank that has itself just been filled.