• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question on spot welding using Clecos

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Putting the floors in my Bronco and drilled 1/8 holes for Clecos, now they don't look big enough to get a good weld. Whats the trick? I would think you would want at least a 3/8" hole in the top panel.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
The top piece should only have holes in it. Use the Cleko's to hold in place. 3/8" is fine but the underlying metal should be bare steel, no holes, and have a light coating of weld thru primer on it. Every 4" or so should have a weld. The best way is a spot welder but you will be fine with the mig. Apply 2K primer, sand then seam sealer on both sides.

OP
OP
iwlbcnu

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
So you don't use the Cleco holes for the welds, just to hold in place, and then extra just for weld holes. Makes sense.

Nightmare Bronc

I used Clecos to hold metal in place. I drilled 3/16 holes in the top piece of metal to weld it to bottom piece. Some places I used hex head self tapping screws to pull floor down good.

bosshoff

Contributor
When welding, I have had a hard time getting enough clamping pressure using clecos.