• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question - Removing 2nd Coat of Paint

syndicate1

Contributor
Am I crazy to even consider the idea of removing the second coat of paint?

First, a little history about the PO and paint. The PO (original owner) was a meticulous guy who worked hard for every dollar earned and appreciated what life had to offer. The kind of guy that didn't take things for granted and family first. Around 2009, the PO decided to refresh the '74 Explorer Bronco by changing the color from metallic blue (color code E) to ford yellow. At that time, he also changed the color of the hardtop from white to black. The PO was soo meticulous about taking care of the bronco, he NEVER removed the hardtop while he owned the bronco. Not even when he repainted painted it for fear of "breaking the seal". The dash was painted without removing the gauges or dials.

Fast forward to 2015... I bought the bronco and at the time was not a fan favorite of the yellow color. Since then the color has grown on me. I'm similar to the PO, in that I'm meticulous about the way I take care of things. Over the past few years, I began to notice flaws in the paint... cracks along joints and the clear coat on the dash was laid down heavy with runs. Then one day, I decided to pick heavily at one of the cracks with my fingernail and the paint just flaked right off. Clearly poor prep and poor bonding. At the time, I thought to myself... was the truck prepped before it was resprayed?? and got me thinking about the idea if the yellow paint could be removed. I started to research if this could be possible.

Fast forward to today.... I bought a rattle can of Klean Strip Aircraft "Peeler Basecoat/clearcoat Remover". This stuff is mild compared to the Klean Strip Aircraft "Paint Remover".

I picked three inconspicuous test areas. 1) cross member 2) a spot next to the drivers side vent and 3) under the dash. I was careful by taking baby steps on the amount of time I allowed the remover to do its thing. Each test spot took less than 1 minute. The mfg directions call out for the remover to sit for 5min.

Removing the yellow paint revealed what looks like a dark blue primer and the original paint looks to be in great condition.

The open areas seem to be easy. The nook's and cranny's could be the hard work.

The questions that remain, does anyone know if the original paint came with a clear coat? how cool would it be to restore the original paint? and am I 'effing crazy that I'm even considering doing this?

IMG_8281.jpg

IMG_8280.jpg

IMG_8283.jpg

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
Also want to mention that the PO only painted the visible areas on the interior. In other words, the original blue paint is not covered with yellow paint on inside of the glove box door or the floor boards. The floor boards look like the day the truck rolled off of the showroom floor. Since I've never taken the top off, I can see that the bed rail is still blue.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My 1974 Bronco explorer was medium blue metallic, kinds looked like your color. It was an Acrylic poly metallic paint all in one back then. No 2 stage clear coat paint and no hardener from the factory. Faded like hell if it wan't garage kept. I personally think your wasting your time trying to get it down to the original color. There is a reason that they painted the truck yellow and if you strip it down to the blue you will have to fix that problem too and it wont match. Sand it all down and repaint would be my recommendation. if it was a solid color and not a metallic you might have a chance but metallic your dreaming for a miracle.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If you try to put modern catalyzed paint on top of the layers of vintage paint its life will be short and unpleasant. I recommend media stripping or chemical stripping and starting with a solid base.