• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Questions about 1966 Original Radiator

mburlew

Loc.
Springfield

I am looking to replace the radiator in my 66 Bronco (6 cyl) and am wondering if a stock radiator off a Mustang or other 1966 Ford vehicle is identical to the stock Bronco radiator. Does anyone know?

ol gray mare

I was going to suggest comparing part numbers from an online parts place. I figured I'd give it a shot while I finished this last beer. It seems the only places that sell them for the 6 cyl EB are the EB vendors. There, you have no Mustang/Econoline/Falcon cross reference. I guess that disproves the old story about the slow brain cells and beer!

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I had mine rebuilt when it started leaking. I had to find an "Old School" shop to do it. The first place I went actually tried to tell me that the Bronco never was sold with a six cylinder. He figured if it wasn't in his book it couldn't be stock%). As for a Mustang radiator, I had the same thought. I happen to have a 68 Mustang radiator that I was considering using but its much wider. You could make it fit but it would not be a simple bolt in job.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
If you want used there are plenty of people swapping to a V8. New, I would suggest a Champion aluminum one. I've been very pleased with mine, and reasonably priced.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The I6 and V8 have different radiators and even different core supports to hold them. They don't interchange that easily.

A good radiaotr shop can get your back and running again. Even if they have to recore it, the tanks are all they really need to bring your old one back to new.

I have never found a drop in radiator from any other vehicle that will fit a Bronco. We have our own special radiators. Any other option is a custom install.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I know that when the shop rebuilt mine, they scavenged the top tank from something else. I think it was a falcon but could not say for sure. IIRC they said they were similar but did not mount the same.