• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Questions on Installation of Duffs Tubular Extended Radius Arms

ken thomas

Loc.
Grenada, MS.
I'm in the process of building a 75 model Bronco. I purchased the stage 3 5.5" (Monster Suspension) from James Duff. Included in the kit was tubular extended radius arms and the directions on how to install them. I had a local 4 wheel drive shop attempt to install the whole kit, which turned out to be a major mistake. I'm not very mechanically inclined far as automotive goes, but when they installed the radius arm brackets to the frame, I'm not sure if there in the correct location. The reason for my curiosity one side of the radius arms have some adjustment in the rod ends, where the other side has none. The frame is stock and I'm running a stock Dana 44 with upgrades internally. Is it possible for someone that is running my same setup help me out with some measurements on where the brackets attach to the frame?

OP
OP
K

ken thomas

Loc.
Grenada, MS.
Thanks for the quick response. The lift was installed while the body was removed. I'm unsure how it falls out with the wheel wells. I'm aware the directions say measure from the center of the old brackets, but unfortunately I don't have that reference point anymore due to frame patching. The frame is not here at my house it's at a Buddies shop, and he is trying to help me out.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I'd measure from a set point somewhere else (like say the leaf springs) and see if the brackets are square and even.
Or, drop a string (plumb bob) from the top of the coil spring tower to the center of the front axle tube. The center of the axle tube should be about 1/2-3/4" forward of the bolt for the upper spring retainer on both sides. (see the attached drawing). That will tell you if the front axle is square with the frame. You can also use that string, located at the same place on each side, to measure back to the new bracket on each side.

Attachments

• Bronco Frame and Suspension.pdf
    545.1 KB · Views: 97

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
X2

I'd measure from a set point somewhere else (like say the leaf springs) and see if the brackets are square and even.

or like to the body mount just in front of the radius arm bracket. If those measurements are the same then the next issue is gonna be centered axle.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Or, drop a string (plumb bob) from the top of the coil spring tower to the center of the front axle tube. The center of the axle tube should be about 1/2-3/4" forward of the bolt for the upper spring retainer on both sides. (see the attached drawing). That will tell you if the front axle is square with the frame. You can also use that string, located at the same place on each side, to measure back to the new bracket on each side.

That is strange one arm has threads and the other doesn't. They either welded the bracket in the wrong place or the frame is bent. Once you do like Steve said, you need to make sure the frame isn't diamond (bent). Look on Bronco Graveyards site under tech or documents. They have measurements for the frame. You basically measure the frame in a "X" pattern and it should be the same. A bodyshop can also measure it with tram guages, they can also fix the frame too.

OP
OP
K

ken thomas

Loc.
Grenada, MS.
Guys, thanks for all the input. I know it is going to be helpful. I'm going to have to attempt to figure it out this weekend. Hey, another thing I thought of, the coil springs, one doesn't stand up straight and is almost rubbing the duel shocks. It's been a few weeks since I've seen it, so I don't remember which side. By the way we have already made sure of the trueness of the frame. Thanks Again

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Well if the coil is rubbing the dual shocks on one side it would seem that is the side the arm is off it's prescribed measurement.
Even if it is, just re-measure and re-attach. I know it sucks but don't stress too much. It sounds very "fixable".
Besides you really bought a hell of a nice kit. When it is done you will pretty much have the best damn suspension you can get. So it's ok to be happy......but I bet that radius arm issue is really buggin' you.
Very fixable though.