• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Questions on Rear disc brake conversion on my 76

tampabronco

I work at NAPA auto parts and have access to anything brake related and cheap. Is there a kit that offers hoses, brackets, etc and I get the rotor, caliper and pads from NAPA? I'm also guessing I will have to get an adapter to fit my lug pattern? A parking brake isn't that big of a deal

It's a 76 Any suggestions would be appreciated

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Hit up a junkyard for the brackets you want. I think about the only brackets that are bolt on are the explorer brackets. Then you can get the rest of the stuff where you like. To me rear discs are kind of the last upgrade to do basically when you have nothing left to upgrade and feel the need to do something as they dont really improve anything.
Look thru the links section Im sure there are writeups on rear discs that will give you more insight to the actual swap and options that are out there.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Junk yard, and look for big Lincoln mark 5 like 72 - 76. Brackets and the calipers.. They had 9 inch rear ends. The bolt pattern is usually different but on my first bronco I did get some 5x5.5 rotors with the set up. These bolt on, never looked into the explorer stuff.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Buy brackets from BC.
Get their already machined rotors.
Then you can get everything else from Napa.

OP
OP
tampabronco

tampabronco

Thanks for the help

Next week I'm upgrading to the nv3550 and also installing a set of headers. I'm running out of money but I figure I may wanna be able to stop this thing

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Rear brakes only account for like 20% of braking and drum brakes actually provide more stopping power than discs. If your having brake issues you need to look at the fronts first there are caliper upgrades you can do for the front that may improve braking