• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

QUICK HELP-Body Removal!

brutis72eb

Bronco Guru
Loc.
South Carolina
As you know I am doing a Frame Up Restoration on my 72 and this week I will be taking the body off the frame. A few questions-Is there a list of everything necessary to remove to take the body off-if not any help would be greatly appreciated-I have a basic idea. Also, I am going to be building a wooden frame for my body to sit on (with wheels) does anyone already have measurements or plans for such a structure? And Lastly if I put both my doors back on and the tailgate do you think 4 (or maybe 6) people could lift it? And do you think the body would tweak even if i have the doors and tailgate on-fenders, hood, top, and grill are all off. THANK YOU GUYS SOOOOOOO MUCH! Restoration Progress on my site!;D

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I did it with an engine hoist. Check my site below, click on the www. For the dolly I bolted it to short pieces of unistrut which was lag bolted to a length of 4"X4". I then lowered it on the dolly a screwed the dolly and 4"x4" together. To lift it is easy it's the lifting it and moving at the same time that's hard. I did mine with just the tub (no front clip) and a 6-point rollbar with me handling the hoist and my nephew guiding the tub in place, It was doable but harder than expected.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I made a wooden frame for my tub to sit on. It is 3X6 feet and has wheels. I push it around my garage from side to side and push it outside when I need to.I wish I had made something taller so I could get under it easier. I stack 2X4s and 1X2s across it right under the floor braces so I can level it. I used a small chain on the two rear body mount holes with a engine crane to lift the back. The front is pretty easy to lift up once the back is up in the air. Roll the frame out from under it and have someone ready to push a sawhorse or jackstands under the front so you can set it down. I woud suggest leaving the doors and everything else you can OFF of it. BUT, you need to make a small brace between the door jambs to hold the tub from flexing. I know for a fact , they flex but they will go right back to flat once you set it down IF it isn't too rusty. Check my pages for some pics. www.2badrotties.classicbroncos.com :)

OP
OP
brutis72eb

brutis72eb

Bronco Guru
Loc.
South Carolina
Thanks for the replies Keep em coming! I dont have an engine hoist so that doesnt help me out much and I dont really want to weld in door braces so I figured I would just put the doors back on really quick just for the body removal. 2bad-Is there anything you would have done differently when building your wooden frame-this weekends project. Also does anyone have a list of what components to remove when taking the body off-Thanks for all your help:D

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Something different ? YEP ... I would have made it out of steel tubing. OR I would have made it taller so I could get under it.
If you have any decent roof on your garage you could use a come-along on the rear instead of a engine crane. The tub is not that heavy just a big pain in the butt. The doors will add about 150 more pounds to lift up so you better find some BIG friends. Good luck with it. Keep us posted on your progress. :)

broncomaddness

Loc.
Corpus Christi, Texa
I rented a engine hoist for about $25. Had one buddy work the hoist and move it around, I watched/manuvered the front clip, another friend watch the back. It took about 15 minutes to accomplish. The more time you spend mounting the body the more beer you'll have to buy;D Total was $25 + 6 pack.