• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quick help on oil filter????

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've never had this problem before. Trying to figure out why my old oil filter came off and goes back on smooth. I tried the Motorcraft and the Fram and neither will screw on all the way. Both go about half way on and that is it. Plenty of depth on the filter too. I checked the threads on the old filter and the top edges of the threads are a little flat,where as the threads on the new filters come to a point or seem sharp. Anybody had this problem?Feel like a dummy for askin' but hey...it won't go on.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
make sure the old "o" ring gasket isnt still on the block......i.e. look at the old oil filter and see if it's gone!

J. R.

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I checked it. Nope not there it is on the old filter. I can turn the new filter on there about 4 turns. Looks like it needs 2 more to seal. I can still see threads in between the filter and the block. Damn thing won't go. I cleaned the threads. Put oil on them to lube...still no go. Threads arent stripped or buggered when I pull it off. Any ideas???

Thanks mUch,

Blue71

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Check to make sure these are really the right filters. The Motorcraft should be an FL-1A and it should screw right on. When I say double check I'm thinking maybe they gave you a wrong one, then cross referrenced the wrong one to another brand or something because it just doesn't make sense.

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Astark,

I did a double check and I do have the correct MC FL-1A filter as well as the Fram PH8A. Just can't figure this out. I just put the old one back on for now and put newoil in her. Let me know if you all have any other suggestions.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Motorcraft FL-1A was on it to begin with.

Skuzzlebutt,

How does the filter stud come off. Let me know. I will probably try and get it off and just replace it like you said. Is it a pain to remove???

Thanks Much,

Blue71

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
The filter post should have hex sides on it, get the right size socket. Also, may I add to stay away from the Fram Filters. They are junk!!!! The glue they use to glue the ends of the filter paper together doesn't hold and it comes apart. Cummins, and Honda that I know of have statements that say that if you use Fram filters "No warranty" They can and do analyse the oil to see if paper particales are present. Cummins says that even if the glue holds, the paper is so cheap that it comes apart and plugs the oil jets under the pistons.