• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quick Question? Ford 9" Pinion Preload

BroncoRunner

Loc.
SE Michigan
Hey guys, what should the torgue / specs be for the pinion nut....... to get the crush sleeve in the proper posion and the preload specs.
Thanks again, Tom

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
There maybe a set torque setting but that will not neccasarly be the place where the pinion crush sleeve is supposed to be.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I have seen a couple of different "suggested" values for the torque on the nut. But, what you really want is the proper preload on the bearing. This can be measured by spinning the pinion with an in-lb torque wrench and carefully watching to see what value of torque it takes to spin it. With a crush sleeve, I would check this value several times while torquing the nut. Better yet, ditch that crush sleeve and go with a solid spacer setup.

For new bearings, the value should be 13-15 in-lbs
for used bearings, the value should be 6-7 in-lbs.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/HowTo/TechnicalInstructions/Yukon_Installation_Kit.pdf

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
ditto

I have seen a couple of different "suggested" values for the torque on the nut. But, what you really want is the proper preload on the bearing. This can be measured by spinning the pinion with an in-lb torque wrench and carefully watching to see what value of torque it takes to spin it. With a crush sleeve, I would check this value several times while torquing the nut. Better yet, ditch that crush sleeve and go with a solid spacer setup.

For new bearings, the value should be 13-15 in-lbs
for used bearings, the value should be 6-7 in-lbs.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/HowTo/TechnicalInstructions/Yukon_Installation_Kit.pdf

Spacers can be a pain to set up but it is the bet way. hard to over do it and once it is set up chances are new bearing will go right back in if they ever need to.
I once knew a racer that would run the nut down snug and then just move the nut down until it crushed the sleeve. That was it. He never checked anything else. I do not recommend that.

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
I getting ready to install new gears and such. What is the difference between spacer and the crush sleeve? Whats the benefits?

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I getting ready to install new gears and such. What is the difference between spacer and the crush sleeve? Whats the benefits?

The solid spacer is a set of shims and a spacer that you go in place of the crush sleeve. You adjust the shims to get the proper preload. The main advantage of the solid spacer is that you can use it over and over. The crush sleeve is a one-time use.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Srcond advantage of the solid spacer, you can remove ,and replace, the yoke to replace the seal without messing up the crushsleeve or settings.