• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quick Question Regarding Spark

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
If my Pertronix Ignitor went out on me, would I lose spark from the coil?
I have power to both sides of the coil and still have power when cranking but no spark. I just don't know that much to determine if the PI would cause loss of spark @ coil or if the PI works after spark gets to it from the coil.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Test light from grond to neg side of coil. Light should flash while cranking if Pertronix is working correctly and triggering coil. The high voltage leaves coil to center of distributor cap and sent to plug wires thru rotor button, not thru the Pertronix.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
X2, pertronix is just a substitute for points. If the current pulses in the above described test, the coil, coil wire, rotor, or distributor cap could be bad. Hold the coil wire near the engine while cranking it over. If you get spark there it is most likely in the cap. This won't however eliminate a weak coil that can't make a spark under compression.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
What a pertronix failed get outta here! Seriously it might be the coil that failed as well. you might try installing points and see if you get spark or not.

Last edited:

naneumranch

Run a hot wire from battery to coil and see if it runs. If it does check your ignition switch the tumbler inside wears out and you lose your ancillary power to run the coil .

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont bother running a hot wire form the battery you already have power to the coil. its either the igintior is not functioning or the coil. Scratch what I said earlier about power to both sides as you can see power to both sides of the coil. a couple things to check though do you have a full 12 volts going to the pertronix? what coil are you running? What voltage do you see at the coil? There are ways to test the coil

OP
OP
joshnjulie1

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
I have the full 12+ at both the + and - sides of the coil. I have the MSD Blaster coil that came with the Bronco when I bought it and I also have a stock type one I picked up from the auto parts store. I get no spark from the center coil while while cranking. If the Pertronix Ignitor did give out, I wouldn't get spark at the center coil wire would I?

My current plan is to replace the Ignitor with good ol' fashioned points, replace the cap and rotor and plug wires while I'm at it, get a new ballast resistor and follow the directions all over again in the booklet from the Centech harness for hooking up the ignition system with the 'ponts' style.

OP
OP
joshnjulie1

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
Installed the points, hooked everything up according to the instructions, and it fired up instantly. It was the Pertronix Ignitor that took a crap on me. After all that.... Thanks to everyone for the help.