• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator - Best bang for buck

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
How have those $150 alum ebay radiators been working?

I would to take to a welder to have the ports flipped for my 351C. Wondering if anyone makes one already set up for under $300.

Ron davis ~$450
BC Bronco ~$550

Look nice but are out of my budget at the moment

backpain

Bronco Guru
Lots here happy with Champion on Ebay. See if they have what you need. Summit Racing also has a bunch of choices on the less expensive end

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I have had the Champion installed for 2 days now and so far so good. I asked the same question before I bought it and several have stated they had theirs for years with no issues. Great price too.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
i just wish they made one with the ports flipped. I would buy one now.

major

Loc.
Knoxville
I installed my champion radiator on a 5.0 swap and so far so good. The issue I have is that my Bronco graveyard custom SS lines for my C-4. The connections for the tranny cooler are 3/16 flared fitting and that is small for a transmission line.

The "custom" Stainless tranny cooler lines I got from Bronco Graveyard (that I had to re-bend almost every bend. So now they are work hardend but thats another post.) Do not attach. Thats a coupling issue. The radiator is fine Sorry for the tangent about those $70 custom lines that JBG would do nothing about.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've bought enough junk radiators from our vendors to cure me of that. Now I go to my local radiator shop and order one. They are the experts anyway. The last and best on is a Harrison three pass with staggered tubes. They have to know how to cool cars in Bakersfield. ;)

browngr5

Loc.
Eagle, Idaho
Mine came with a short ground wire...so I ran it to the core support. Mine worked great for 6 months until electrolysis ate the sides and started leaking. I researched and found4.0 volts of electrical current in the water.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Maybe I should just have mine re-cored. Anyone done this? Know of a good shop in West LA?

bsquared

Contributor
If you are doing a 5.0L install and want the pump to pull from the drivers side (return to top of radiator on the passenger side) I used the Champion 1970 Mustang 3 core. It is more similar to the Bronco I-6 mount system because the radiator tanks are on the top and bottom and the mounts are along the sides. (same as the I-6) Only mod I had to do was to cut my I-6 mounts with a cutoff wheel and then swap them to provide a "flange out" design, with 4 spaces to get the width right.
First radiator had a couple of pin hole leaks (not sure if it was me or them) and Champion made it right straight away, no questions asked. Best service I have ever received on a problem like that! Took a few hoses from the local parts store to get it right, but was able to fab a perfect fit all the way around.
Hope to post more info asap! B2

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 68
  • RadiatorandHose.jpg
    RadiatorandHose.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 60

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
I just swapped to add a trans cooler. I have my original that I swapped out for an aluminum with a trans cooler, I've been running my original radiator with the inlet and outlets swapped to accommodate the 5.0. It works excellent, I had it cleaned, no leaks, always at 180 even crawling. Stop by and check it out and make an offer.

aliensecretion

Had mine for about 6 or 7 months now and it's been just fine. They were great to deal with, a rarity these days. Keep an eye on their auctions for the random deal... I shopped for 2 or 3 weeks and ended up getting mine for $129.

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
I have a alum 1 that cost around that amount and it has performed well. Shamu has the same 1 as me and he has wheeled it much more than I have, not sure if he has had any issues.

ransil

Bronco Guru
look into the 94 V6 explorer radiator,. I just put one in wasn't too bad.

Last edited:

RG75Bronco

Loc.
Jacksonville
What mods did you guys have to do for fitting the Champion rad to the core support? Will the stock transmission lines mount up without any mods?