• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator, electric fans?

dmwelljr

Loc.
Sublimity, Oregon
What's wveryone opinions on the best bang for your buck radiator? I'm looking at getting one ASAP, and also wondering about electric fans, any opinions? Thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
About the only good electric fan is a ford taurus fan setup. But really for the street Id stay with mechanical. Some people have had success with other setups but they tend to cost way more than there worth.IMO
As for radiators well take your pick all have had success and some failures. I prefer the old copper brass style myself. Although the 4 row ones see to have some issues so Id stay with the 3row. But some are having luck with aluminums seems the cheaper ones tend to have a better rep than the high dollar aluminums probably because when they fail you dont feel so bad as you didnt spend big $$ on something that cant be fixed.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
Im running a Griffen Aluminum Radiator and a electric fan off of a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Keeps it right at 180 on the trail and can even turn it off on the hoghway and the radiator keeps it cool. Stick with the mechanical water pump.

Letsgocrawling

Loc.
Tucson Az.
Dmwelljr, I'd stick with the belt driven water pump, my set up has no water pump fan, just a big noisy electric one (most CFM) in front of the radiator. the radiator is a howe from wh or bgy, I can't remember it's been so long since purchase. I run a 200 degree therm, and a 210 on and 185 off switch for the fan. I live in tucson and this summer, I had no heating problems, just the fan noise. I run these temps for the fuel inj. during max day temp this summer the temp never got higher than 205. the fan runs constant at idle or crawing but goes off when you get the speed up to around 25-30 plus. And that's with no mechanical fan!
mark

1bad76

Loc.
Sedona, AZ
I just installed a BC copper three row.
Great quality and direct fit. being copper you don't have to worry about the heater core creating a dissimilar metal anode and cathode.
x2 on the mechanical fan( with a shroud).
I went with a 17 inch fixed pitch. I'm not sure what accessories your running, but in my bronco clearance is really tight, between AC compressor and shroud. (I had to get a little creative fitting the fan) I have been told you want about 1 inch space between the fan blade and radiator.

Letsgocrawling

Loc.
Tucson Az.
From my last post, at speed the fan will the run intermiediatly to keep the enginge cool---not just staying off all of the time when moving. CMA
mark

ransil

Bronco Guru
electric fans suck.. stay with mechanical.
radiator the 94 explorer is cheap but requires modding the mounts, for a drop in get the cheap aluminum one from ebay.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:cool::cool::cool: I run a stock 3 row and stock fan never had a heat problem. Everything we put a aftermarket elec. in ran somewhat hot they SUCK.%)%)%) Bill

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
stock radiator equipped with metal shroud and stock solid blade fan has kept mine cool for years. flush about every 2-3 yrs unless it's a daily driver which requires flush more often.

x2 on not needing an electric fan

Letsgocrawling

Loc.
Tucson Az.
Well said guys? One who does there homework, have good luck with E fans. If my rig was stock I would'nt go that way---my rig is'nt stock. And last I knew, everything produced now has E fans-----I think.
mark

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Mine seemed to need both. I can't run too much fan pitch due to radiator and a/c clearance issues, so I have a small electric fan in front of the radiator that comes on when it's needed. Usually when sitting in road or trail traffic. My eb seems to only run hot at idle and the elec. fan helps alot with that.