• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator help on EFI swap.

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
So I ran into the first of many snags on my explorer efi swap. I panned on using the V6 explorer radiator. The problem is the outlet interferes with my F100 2WD power steering box. That thing is huge. I didn't see a way that i could modify anything to make it work due to the frame rails being too narrow.

So, for those with this power steering box and a reverse flow water pump, what did you use? Am I stuck using the crossover kit from BC Broncos and a stock radiator? Or, is there another reasonably priced radiator that will work without hitting that giant PS box? Summit has a few universal ones that look like they might work but I don't want to guess based on dimensions alone.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-381424/

Thanks.

Amac70

ME
i am running one of those universals and have the same steering box. just measure and get one that fits. I can't help with size cause after a few years and few different mods i no longer have core support.

OP
OP
WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
Thanks. To cool a completely stock explorer engine, should I be concerned about any of their universals?

Would the size of something like the above be adequate?

Thanks for the info.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Look into the champion radiator with reverse inlet and outlet.

OP
OP
WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
http://www.championradiators.com/page/472409586

Also check eBay. Might be a little cheaper.

Looks like a good buy. Anyone know if it'll clear the f100 2WD power steering box? At 25" wide it would have to be shifted over to the pass side just a little. maybe that's what the notch is for on the bottom right of the picture?

The summit one is smaller but it's still no guarantee.

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
I am running the explorer 4.0 rad with a f-100 box and have room. My set is not installed at this time so no pix. 4.0 rad is only 18 wide and 18 deep. Is that the one you have.

OP
OP
WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
I am running the explorer 4.0 rad with a f-100 box and have room. My set is not installed at this time so no pix. 4.0 rad is only 18 wide and 18 deep. Is that the one you have.

This is the one I have. The core is 18 x 18 but total it's about 23 or 24" wide. I can take pictures of the interference tomorrow. I would have to move it towards the pass side quite a bit. Is this the right one? The only other ones they list are the single row.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SGT-CU1164/

OP
OP
WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
That is the one. I forgot my core support is gone and that is why I have more room. Sorry.

Yes I confirmed there's just no way without massive modifications. I think I will do the crossover kit from BC broncos. Probably buy a new radiator just in case. I don't want to cook my new motor. Thanks for all the help.

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
Crap. I went and dropped my radiator in and no fit. I did a test fit with cardboard before getting it and it worked but I didn't have the input and output figured in.

OP
OP
WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
Crap. I went and dropped my radiator in and no fit. I did a test fit with cardboard before getting it and it worked but I didn't have the input and output figured in.
Looks like we have the same problem. At this point I plan on buying a stock replacement aluminum radiator from champion and running the crossover hose. I don't think we have much choice with this steering box. I am buying it this week so I'll let you know how it goes.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
sounds like the way to go for you. on a reverse inlet/outlet, you're going to have a time with the alternator location (and probably your PS issue). i'm trying to figure it all out right now with one. FYI, my setup cools very well even without a shroud. I don't have inner fenders in the thing which helps, but the explorer fan pulls a ton of air. you shouldn't have an overheating issue, as long as everything is installed and tuned correctly.