• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

radiator tests....

rednck21

i noticed a smell of anti freeze today coming from my EB. i saw a puff of smoke come out frome above the wheel also. its obvious that i have a leak, so whats the best way to test for a leak? im planning on changing all the hoses and belts anyway...should i start by doing that or find out where its coming from before i change the hoses?? ?:?

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I would want to know where it was leaking from first. In part, just to confirm that it is a hose that's leaking. You might want to change out radiator cap and thermostat while your at it.

Your coolant should leave a tell tale sign where ever it's leaking from, just look and feel and if you don't find it cold, then let it run and circulate untill it warms up with a full radiator.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
A good way to check a cooling system for leaks is to get one of those pressure testers and pressurize the system with the engine off and look for leaks. If there is a leak (that is not inside the engine i.e. head gasket), you will see a little piss stream of coolant. you don't even need to buy a tester as alot of automotive parts stores have a lend-a-tool program. i know autozone has the pressure tester because I just saw it advertised in a magazine yesterday. If there isn't an autozone in your area, check some other parts stores. good luck.