• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radius arm bushing torque???

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
Ive been trying to find what might be a little loose or any bushings that need replaced and noticed the radius arm bushings were torqued differently. I noticed by the castle nut distance from end of threads. Pulled cotter pins and left was pretty tight but right I was able to turn a good 2 1/2 turns before it felt tight.
Anyone know what the torque specs for this?

I had a little bit of a wobble at around 65 it would start. After tightening the nut it changed to start around 55 now then sometimes doesnt feel as bad around 70, or maybe its just wobbling much faster and isnt as noticable.

Thanks for any input,

Gerry

OP
OP
Gerbow

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
I don't know the torque spec, but radius arms are too heavy to wobble fast. Check wheel bearings, ball joints, panhard bar, & the entire steering system.

What is the panhard bar? The track bar, dif name? Everything seems good in front and according to PO everything is new. It all looks new anyways.
I am going to weld up the track bar drop bracket a little better though. I think Im getting the wobble, at least part of it, from there. Seems to flex slightly.

GloNDark

Best test you could is have someone jiggle the steering wheel back and forth and watch all the joints. Any slop in the track bar or steering is almost always visable when you do that.

And I agree, make sure that track bar mount is 100% solid. Any movement or flex there could cause wobble.

OP
OP
Gerbow

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
Best test you could is have someone jiggle the steering wheel back and forth and watch all the joints. Any slop in the track bar or steering is almost always visable when you do that.

And I agree, make sure that track bar mount is 100% solid. Any movement or flex there could cause wobble.

Yeah, Ive done all that a few times. Drag link had a little slop...tightened it. The only thng Im seeing is the drop bracket seems to flex slightly, so I figure if it looks slightly sitti g there, must be alot more down the hwy. And the radius arm bushing