• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radius Arm - Cotter Pin hole

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I have a '77 that I just installed a 2.5" WH lift and ordered all new hardware as well. I know the '77 radius arms don't have factory holes drilled for the cotter pin/castle nut combo as the '75 and earlier years.

Would someone be able to run a dial caliper measurement so I know how far to crank the castle nuts down and drill a hole for a cotter pin?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 72 and the hole is .4025 inch down from end. Ken

Dang...that is a super-precise measurement. I was going to say it's a fat 3/8", give or take, but the end of my F150 radius arms look like they've take a few shots over the years.

jrwyant

Contributor
Subscribed. I'd like to do the same, but didn't want to drill in the wrong spot and mess things up...

OP
OP
WheelHorse

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I wonder if the threaded portion is longer on a '77. I got my dial caliper out and set it to .4025 and it seems like I wouldn't have enough preload on the poly bushings.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Can you mock it up and see if that measurement would be close enough to get the cotter pin in the castlenut? Ken

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I replaced my '77 bushings by simply torquing the nut to 100 ft./lbs as per the shop manual. The shoulder on the radius arm stops it. I've yet to see one come loose, so I can't help but wonder why a cotter pin is needed?

DJs74

Bronco Guru
I have a '77 that I just installed a 2.5" WH lift and ordered all new hardware as well. I know the '77 radius arms don't have factory holes drilled for the cotter pin/castle nut combo as the '75 and earlier years.

Would someone be able to run a dial caliper measurement so I know how far to crank the castle nuts down and drill a hole for a cotter pin?

Might be better to torque your nut down to it's positive stop with your specific setup, then mark the spot for the cotter pin hole and drill them with the arms installed. Your particular combination of bushings, radius arm angles, frame mounting brackets & nuts might vary some from another combination. This way, you can place it exactly where you want/need it to be.

DJs74

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or you could...

1. ...drill the nut and the radius arm mount and safety-wire it.
2. ...run a locknut (nyloc or all-metal). Mine have Class C type all-metal locknuts, but I don't know if those were original or not.
3. ...add a jam nut.

Of all of the supension fasteners, those are some of the easiest to check and I've never personally had once come loose on its own between my '77 F150 (owned 23 years) or '77 EB (owned ~15 years).

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
No the preload is just for the bushing compression. Lean typically comes from the C bushings.