• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radius arm leveling woes

Skidmark

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
Still trying to get rid of this F@#7ing lean:mad: At the moment, I'm trying to get my radius arms mounted level. I've followed the instructions given in the broncofix tech write up, but still can't get them square.

At first I tried "massaging" them into place by fiddling with the bolt tightening, but that didn't yield any results. After that I started trying everything I could think of. Exchanged bushings, traded C-caps(heard you're not supposed to), Tried the arms on opposite sides, and they still end up almost exactly where I started. Every time I put the final squeeze on them, my drivers side arm ends up about 5/8" higher than the passenger.

I'm getting really frustrated.:( I've pulled and changed and remounted these things over 20 times today and I still can't get them away from ending up in the exact same position.

This is becoming a real chore. I hope somebody's got some advice.

Jake

bob_lafrentz

Loc.
Cody, WY
When I did mine, I loaded up the bushings and basicaly everything they came in contact with, with silicone grease. I got it at NAPA and I think it helped everything slide into place. Just an idea. Good luck.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The idea is to mount the arms so their parallel. If your having problems then I'm thinking that maybe you can secure the threaded end of the arm to something sturdy, to prevent arm end from moving, and level. Then Level both axle and the secure mount so you can start retightening the arm bolts. This way it makes sure that both arms ends are the same. Just a thought. Good luck.

Eugene

OP
OP
S

Skidmark

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
I had my old man sit on one of the arms while I tried tightening down the other. It lifted him like he wasnt even there. He weighs 185 and was at the farthest point from the bushing. (a lot of torque).

I then tried tying the radius arms to something larger (a metal loop in my garage floor). I used a parachute chord braid made of six strands and it still didn't do the trick.

Could it be the bushings? I know these things are meant to be strong, but they should be somewhat moldalble.

I really want to fix this lean. The thought of having a crooked bronc after the amount of time and money I've spent makes me sick at my stomach:-[ :-X

bob_lafrentz

Loc.
Cody, WY
I know you have probably checked this a million times, but are you putting the c-bushings in the right directions? Ar all the bushings the same degree bushing (maybe there was a mixup of them someplace and you have a mis-matched set)?

Are the radias arms bent?

Just a couple more ideas?

OP
OP
S

Skidmark

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
All 4 Degree bushings

Bottom rear=top front

Radius arms seem straight, but I'll check in the morning.

Yeah. They're in right. They just don't allow the kind of motion I thought they would. THe broncofix article said that you could manipulate the arms 2" or more. In my case, we're talking more like a quarter inch, and even then they're a long ways off.

I worked on it some more tonight. It's 1:15AM and I've decided to get a little sleep before I tackle it in the morning. I am getting a little closer. I started trying to work the bushings a little higher or a little lower on the mounts as I tightened them down. I ended up with a difference in height that is right around 5/16".

That's better than I started with, But I'd like to get down to around 1/8" before I call it good. Not sure if it's possible but I've got to try.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I replaced all my bushings back in the winter. I assembled my radius arms with the pass about 1/8" higher. It still leans to the drivers side. I replace the front springs, but only added the add-a-leaf to the rear. I think my problem is in the rear springs. Besides I fixing to wrist the front axle and that should equallize the front. Then I'm going to switch to a 11 leaf pack for the rear. If that does't fix the lean, guess I'll just have to live with it.

bob_lafrentz

Loc.
Cody, WY
When I replaced my C-bushings, I'll bet there was 1/2 inch difference between the two sides. I couldn't get rid of it either. But, I didn't put that much time into it. I figured anything under an inch wouldn't be a problem. When it was all installed, everything was great. No bronco lean.

With as much time as you have put in, maybe you should just put it all together and see what happens. It is not that time consuming (considering how much you have done so far) to bolt the axle in. Just don't do brakes, shocks, etc. Then put the bronco on the ground and see what she looks like.

Again, good luck.

brutis72eb

Bronco Guru
Loc.
South Carolina
Man, Im right there with you! I've tried all the same things and no difference. I even put a thread on this site about it about a week ago. I tried everything they told me and there was no use. It didnt budge at all! I am going to be buying a new suspension in a few months anyway so if I do have a lean it wont be for long. I wish someone would come up with a solution to this problem! I think its just the way it came from the factory or something. Ill be following this thread to see if someone can help us! Good Luck;D