• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radius Bracket placement (Need to replace the original that have been cut off)

johns_bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City
I bought a 75 several years ago from a local auction. I'm pulling off all the suspension and going back to 2.5" with 1" body.

I have searched, but not really found much on the original bracket location measurement. I still have partial origianl still in place with the bolt, but the WH don't have the bolt to help on exact location. Both the front an rear of my frame can't be used as a reference point.

I know i can likely get within 1/16- 1/8th of an inch, on locating WH radius brackets.

From anyones experience is there any measurments i could use for the WH brackets? I get I may be entirely over thinking it, but I am just getting into the details of this project. I know that on some of my other projects, when getting into alignment 1/32 matters, and with this being what i think is a critial point, I sure wanted to ask so i dont goof of from the beginning.

Thanks for any input. Attached is what i am brining back as a light off road Bronco.

Shoot somebody may know this Bronco Bronco Project Start Somehow the bronco got its much larger tires/ wheels misplaced at the auction site.

Starting Frame cleanup I already removed the angle brackets. they were used to the rock guards.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry...I have extended arms, but I'm sure somebody has got that dimension handy. Are you planning on running factory radius arms or something aftermarket? I only ask, because if you have one of the aftermarket options with a threaded rod end or something similar at the frame end, position becomes much less critical since you can adjust accordingly and fix any thrust misalignments that way.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
See Steve’s post in this thread.

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
If you get a hold of Nick at Northeast Classic Ford Parts he can hook you up with used original ones, that way you can just use the original holes to line them up. That's what I did on one a few years ago.

OP
OP
J

johns_bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City
Sorry...I have extended arms, but I'm sure somebody has got that dimension handy. Are you planning on running factory radius arms or something aftermarket? I only ask, because if you have one of the aftermarket options with a threaded rod end or something similar at the frame end, position becomes much less critical since you can adjust accordingly and fix any thrust misalignments that way.
Thank you for the info. I currently have what I believe the James Duff extended so when I was looking for options I noticed they had a "smaller" version that is good with 2.5" lift. They fit with the stock radius mounting brackets. Thank you that is helpful that that may be a good option.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think you are trying to split hairs trying to get the bracket to 1/32".
The frames were not that tight when new. Never hear of radius arm bracket issues unless completely wrecked and off by inches. The extended radius arm brackets are often welded on in a driveway while consuming 6-packs, and never hear about them being installed out of place.
Looks at the rubber locating bushings and think of how much they squish under load. If it was that sensitive there would have been shim packs for the radius arms to adjust them.

While there are some vehicles out there they may be sensitive enough to a 1/32" change in alignment, the Bronco isn't sensitive like that.

There is wanting to do things perfect, then there is reality.

OP
OP
J

johns_bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City
These old trucks aren't F1 race cars. ;) If you could 3D-scan the whole frame, you'd probably find it's got a LOT of bends & holes that are more than 1/8" off.

(click this text)
Agree, This is the first Bronco I have worked with. I have always wanted one and this just happend to be the one that i was able to get ahold of. I have been building Corvettes since the 80's and really it was just as a foundational question on the placement. I think where my concern was even originated was long ago before i started doing alignments myself, I had a "tweeked" rear trailing arm. From that experience, i've just learned that it never hurts to ask "just in case" removing welds etc is not how i want to spend the weekend :).

I have to say I apprecaite all the input, this has been great info from all folks responding. For me I feel confident moving forward on either original or aftermarket brackets. As I move around the Bronco I know there will be lots of questions, and the expertise and feedback is awesome from you guys!

I dont intented to distract from the Bronco forum, so ao apologize and dont click on if you dont like GM. ;) Sharing a few pics of my other onging project. 66 Vette

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I dont intented to distract from the Bronco forum...
It's your thread, so you're not exactly "derailing" it.

I used to restore them for a guy who owned ~40 (mostly just wrecks for parts). His base collection was the only decade series possible: '54, '64, '74, '84, but his pride & joy was a '63 fuellie that we built to the NCRS judging manual. He also had a some old gas station pumps, a big 1-cylinder stationary engine, a '64 Coupe DeVille...

OP
OP
J

johns_bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City
I have extended radius arms, the aftermarket brackets had short pins that fit into existing holes in the bottom of the frame rails to locate them. Can you use the existing holes in the bottom of the frame rails (assuming your frame has them) to measure from to locate your brackets?

This may help:

https://i0.wp.com/broncodesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/tech_01.png
I went out took a look on the underside and sure enough, there are hole located there. Thank you for that information!